My First (And Last) Cake!

Baking By shiney Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm by yankeegal

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 19

Y'all, cakes are hard!! My hat's off to all y'all talented cakorators! (this is sounding like a paula deen post!)
I wanted to use RBC because don't like the taste of fondant, well, my SIL figures I put in too much PS, and my dots were too thick. Since it was an over-the-hill birthday, I just improvised, and we all decided the brown dots were age spots! It tasted yummy (cuz it was a box cake!)
LL

18 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 19

I think the cracks add to it, and it looks cute! And I like the polkda dots!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 19

I agree, the cracks just make the cake!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 19

you have loads of talent!! and i agree that those cracks kindof fit with the theme of the cake (we've all had to tweek and work to make cakes look good-just as i'm sure you've developed your skill with cookies) i've done both and i get frustrated with cakes and cookies...don't give up!!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 19

I think it's a hoot given the theme on the cake! icon_biggrin.gif Don't give up! I've had worse disasters!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 19

I think this a cute and funny cake in the GREATEST way! Cakes do take time and practice, as I'm sure you know with cookies! icon_smile.gif

shiney Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 19

Ladies, you're so funny! The theme of the cake only became 'falling apart' After the cake fell apart icon_smile.gif The cake was over the hill on so many levels, RBC was dry and cracked, dots were fat, I used RI instead of buttercream, you could chip a tooth on those suckers! I just had to share this, so hopefully nobody else will feel bad about their first (or second, third, etc) attempt at a new craft!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 19

HA! That was my good laugh for the day! I'm sure you learned a lot from doing this cake! And nice save with the inscription... icon_lol.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 19

Shiney, your cake "cracks" me up! 'Scuse the pun! Rolled buttercream takes as much finesse as fondant so you really were taking on the same level of work. You did just fine! I love the age spots! I once read a story about a young wife who attempted a sheet cake for her husband's b-day. They lived in earthquake country. The cake came out dry and cracked in two places when she removed it from the pan. As she frosted it she simply labeled one crack, "St. Andres Fault." The other she labeled, "MY fault." icon_lol.gif Moral to the story? She recovered with aplomb as did you! And... you are still laughing. I calls that HEALTHY!!!

Your cookies are charming, and you are obviously loaded with talent so don't let your first cake be your last!

shiney Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 19

Hilarious story, Win! Sounds like my kinda humour! Love your puns, a 'spot' of good fun!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 19

AWE, Shiney don't give up! It looks great and the cracks add to it! Keep going at like your cookies and you have a new talent under your belt!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:14am
post #12 of 19

First cake? I think it is great! My first cake was a pirate chest for my son's 2 years old birthday. My husband took a look at it 15 minutes before the little guests arrived and proceeded to disassemble it and 're-do' it. I politely (okay, as best as I could muster icon_biggrin.gif ) informed him that he could do the cakes from then on... and he has! His cakes are hilarious (not at all polished like CC cakes) and are the highlight of our birthday celebrations. I will say that you are off to a great start! thumbs_up.gif I am too scared to try again! I'll stick to cookies!

Oh, and I would have thought you planned the cracks to go with the "Falling Apart". You couldn't have planned it better - It is perfect!

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 19

Shiney,
It's great for a first. I'm tempted to try one too. I was actually on youtube watching videos this morning (in my spare time) about how to cover a cake with fondant. Good for you. Keep tyring and I am sure your cakes will be just as good as your cookies! BTW, All I could think of when I saw the cracks were facial wrinkles, so it goes with the theme of the cake in my opinion! icon_biggrin.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 19

LOL..to cute you guys are to funny!

shiney Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 19

I love the way y'all think the 'cracks' go with the theme of the cake! What confidence you have in me! icon_smile.gif The cracks gave the cake the theme.
Love y'all!!!! My fellow uplifting CC'ers!

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 19

I think it turned out great! So what if it didn't go off as planned. It was your first one. I really hand it to you for trying. Like I told you about the book. Sure, I have it, but have I used it and attempted something like this.......that would be a big, fat NO!

Your talent has shown through again! You came up with a different theme and made the best with what you had.

And you may say it is your last, but you don't seem like the type to give up that easily. Look at what all you have done with your cookies and tried new things.

Don't think of this as a failure.....you pulled it off! Just go bake you up several small cakes and keep at it.

shiney Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks, New! I know I told you I want to tackle a Bunco cake in April, actually it's going to be on April Fools day, so the oven is my oyster! icon_wink.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 19

Whether the cracks gave the theme or vice versa, it's still cute! The best cake decorators are the ones who can use mishaps to their advantage! Good job!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #19 of 19

Shiney-I think it came out great-love the cracks and the "age spots!"
I am with you...Cake decorators are in a league all of their own!
"I am not worthy, I am not worthy"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%