Help!!!! My Freezer's Packed Up!

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 1:57am by sari66

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 11

icon_cry.gif I've just had a potential disaster...but I don't know how much of a disaster it is yet...

I got home today to find that our freezer had switched itself off. Inside it are the cakes for the wedding cake I'm making for Saturday. It is a chocolate cake (2 x 12", 3 x 9", 3x 6")!!!

It has been defrosting for at least a day - however, the weather in the UK is very cold at the moment so it is still very chilled.

What do I do????

I can't re-freeze it, but will it be stale by Saturday?? It will be covered in light ganache. Should I do this earlier, and hope it helps to keep the cake fresh, should I give up and start again (I work full time,so this is a really scary option....)

Please please pleae - any advice gratefully received!!!!

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 11

Don't panic! Most good chocolate cakes can be kept in the fridge for a good week and still be fine, just pop them in there until you need to start decorating. Are you using fondant (I presume as a Brit based baker you are?!). I've done wedding cakes that had so much detail that I baked on Tuesday, filled and crumb-coated Wednesday and then covered with fondantand started doing the detail work from the Thursday, they were still beautifully moist. Fondant acts as an air-tight seal, so you could do that and they will be fine. If in doubt, brush the layers with some simple syrup before filling for extra moisture. Your ganache will be fine at room temp if following the above schedule too, it is shelf stable for a week. Hope that helps!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 11

OK, saw you are covering the cakes with ganache, so I would put them in the fridge and then follow your intended schedule icon_smile.gif!

Edited to say: was looking at your website the other day and I just wanted to say how exquisite your sugar flowers are thumbs_up.gif

AlixsCakes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for your kind, speedy and immensly reassuring reply.

Sorry to sound so panicked - I've never done a large scale chocolate cake before and I really wasn't sure whether I would have to start again!! It's a stcked wedding cake and it's the first time I've done that as well, so all in all, I was feeling a little fraught.

I will let you know how it all turns out. (Keeping my fingers firmly crossed).

Thanks again for your kind words

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 11

Good advice from the PP but I also don't think it would hurt anything to freeze them again if you have the ability to.

AlixsCakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 6:52am
post #6 of 11

thumbs_up.gif Thank you both for your time and expertise.
Fingers crossed!

AlixsCakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 11

I just wanted to say thanks again for your calming advice. It all worked out fine in the end - there was only one section which hd to be replaced as it had got wet. I used ganache AND fondant in the end as I wasn't happy with the finish and I've attached a photo of the result.
Thanks again
Alix icon_smile.gif
LL

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 11

You did a beautiful job!

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 11

WOW! For a first timer, it looks very beautiful!

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 11

PRETTY CAKE! WELL DONE!!!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 11

Wonderful job!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%