Start A Cake Business Today Book - Any Reviews On This Book?

Business By Daddycakes70 Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 2:41am by DesignerCakes

Daddycakes70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daddycakes70 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:02am
post #1 of 11

I saw this book on Amazon "Start A Cake Business Today" by Paula Spencer, and I was just wondering if anyone has read it? I didn't want to buy the book if it wasn't that helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 11

I got it for Christmas this year. I found it helpful in many ways. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be..there's only 60 pages or so. If you are interested I would be happy to list the chapter headings for you. If you don't have a business, I think it's helpful. If you do have a business and it needs a little help, it gives some marketing idea's. The really cool thing is that the lady emails you with good idea's. You also get some type of free cake blog sort of thing (although I haven't done it yet). You also get a link and password to her website to get more information. I think it's worth the money...but you might be in a different cake position than I am. (I'm just thinking about starting a business and working on a business plan). Just be forewarned that I don't think anyone proofread that book! There were so many errors!!

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you. =o)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 11

I have it and I like it. Is there anything in particular you would like to know about it?

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 11

i just bought small business for dummies, and i am finding it very helpful... i know that doesnt answer your question, but it might help.

Good luck in your future endevor!

cylstrial Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #5 of 11

I just wanted to say that I ordered my copy from Paula Spencer's website. If you order from Amazon, I don't think you will get the emails or the cake blog thing I was talking about in my earlier post.
Her website is: www.cake-business.com
I think it was like $27.62 with shipping and everything. There was a discount code to enter at the bottom it was SAVE10. I don't know if the code is still active..but it doesn't hurt to try. Goodluck!

Daddycakes70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daddycakes70 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for her website. I'll order it through there then. Those extras sound great. It just didn't seem like many pages. I don't have a cake business, but I'm very interested in starting one. I think I'll go ahead and get the book. I'll also have to check out that other small business for dummies book too. Thanks for the info. I'm looking for all of the info I can get. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 11

No problem! Goodluck!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:38am
post #8 of 11

I got this book for Christmas, and with the exception of one or two pages in it, I found it completely useless. To me it is written for a person who woke up one day and decided they were going to start selling cakes without any baking/decorating experience. Save your money.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #9 of 11

I recently saw this book and thought it was a complete waste of money. The reason I say that is because the entire book is comprised of information that is readily available right here on CC!!! It instructs you to go to places like youtube.com and other free sites to learn decorating. It would bother me tremendously to pay that much money for a paperback book that provides a Wilton buttercream recipe and tells you to come here for advice. If you are reading this, you can access all that info already.

Also, there are a few recipes in the book, but not in large batch sizes. What good is a recipe that only yields (2) 9" rounds if you are supposed to be in the baking business? I would expect recipes formulated for at least a 20 quart mixer. The entire book is written along these lines.

Lots of talk about how to decorate cakes but not a single photo in the book. Save your money!

mageliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mageliza Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 11

My sister bought this for me last year and I found it to be very helpful. Maybe I'm not as well informed as others here, but I liked having everything organized for me in one place. I also don't want to have to go online and search for answers all the time. I like having the paperback on my bookshelf. I see it as a huge time saver.

In terms of the recipes and such I already had many of my recipes in order, but there were some great suggestions. I don't bake in huge quantities yet so these made sense to me.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #11 of 11

I recently saw this book and thought it was a complete waste of money. The reason I say that is because the entire book is comprised of information that is readily available right here on CC!!! It instructs you to go to places like youtube.com and other free sites to learn decorating. It would bother me tremendously to pay that much money for a paperback book that provides a Wilton buttercream recipe and tells you to come here for advice. If you are reading this, you can access all that info already.

Also, there are a few recipes in the book, but not in large batch sizes. What good is a recipe that only yields (2) 9" rounds if you are supposed to be in the baking business? I would expect recipes formulated for at least a 20 quart mixer. The entire book is written along these lines.

Lots of talk about how to decorate cakes but not a single photo in the book. Save your money!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%