Has Anyone Used Wedges For Topsy Turvy?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 21 Jan 2013 , 9:06pm by morgnscakes

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:55am
post #1 of 9

I have not used styrofoam wedges to do a topsy turvy cake yet so I asked a sister decorator and she said that they have to be set up at the site rather than being delivered already set up?? Can anyone tell me why or how to make one steady enough to deliver alread set??? Thanks for your help.

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

It can be done - just use lots of dowels. Colette Peters has great instructions in Cakes to Dream On. Use dowels to support the next tier as usual and then dowel all the way to the cake board through each successive tier. There are lots of dowels in the finished product icon_lol.gif . And then drive sloooooowly icon_biggrin.gif . My very first cake after Wilton classes was made this way. As they say, ignorance is bliss... But, it survived an arduous journey through resort area traffic thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 9

They can be driven stacked I have done it, just needs good support.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 9

I want to try this type of cake, but where do you get the wedges?

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 9

As always, thanks for the advice ladies! I chickened out on this one but will put my "big girl panties" on for the next one and just do it. Yikes, scary! Psm1, you can probably get your cake wedges at a cake decorating supply store or make them yourself from styrofoam (be sure to cover them with fondant or saranwrap before placing on cake)

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #6 of 9

I made a 4-tiered cake with the styrofoam wedges (in my gallery) and traveled 45 mins and it made it fine. Many dowel rods!

Just a note: I ordered the wedges from dallas foam online. As mentioned above the instructions by Collette are perfect.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 9
Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #8 of 9

Yes use plenty of dowls for your support. I did not on my 1st attempt at
using the wedges. My cake did slip . Follow Collette Petters' technique. Even my instructor told me to secure my support and I felt that a few dowls would be enough. But the wedge effect is much nice. When you put the cake together. Lots of luck.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

icon_confused.gif
www.**********online.com

Thanks!!! I will look into this. That's where I get my regular cake dummies from!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%