Banoffee Cupcakes courtesy of Cupcake Heaven

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 cup self rising flour
4 chewy caramels, chopped

For Decoration
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (would also work with bettercreme)
3-4 tablespoons dulce de leche or caramel sauce
1 banana, sliced

Makes 10 cupcakes

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2.) Beat the butter & sugar together in a bowl until creamy, then beat in the egg, a little at a time. Fold in the mashed banana, then sift the flour into the mixture and fold in, followed by the caramels.

3.) Spoon the mixture into the paper liners and bake in preheated oven for about 16 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4.) To decorate, swirl the cream over each of the cupcakes, then drizzle with a spoonful of dulce de leche or caramel sauce & top with banana slices.

30 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 31

Ending date for this recipe is Jan. 19th, 2 weeks from today!!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 31

Looks great Chass! You might want to add the links from the previous CCCC's. Or at least the first one. icon_smile.gif

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 31

MMM Sounds good Chass!! My co workers will love it!

But where's the (c)offee???!!
LOL!

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

MMM Sounds good Chass!! My co workers will love it!

But where's the (c)offee???!!
LOL!

I think the offee is short for Toffee. Hence, the caramel or dulce de leche! Sounds yummy!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 31

OHHHHH- I always think of toffee as a "darker" flavor than caramel.
DUH- me
icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 31

I wouldn't have known either Zoomzone! I had to look it up to see if Chass missed the coffee part. I found a different recipe and one of the steps was for the Toffee. It was sweetened condensed milk made into Dulce de Leche.
I copied this. I guess the cupcake recipe idea evolved from the Banoffee pie.
Banoffee pie is an English dessert made from bananas, cream and boiled condensed milk (or dulce de leche), either on a pastry base or one made from crumbled biscuits and butter. Its name is a portmanteau constructed from the words "banana" and "toffee".

I love banana cake. This sounds really great Chass! Just too bad DH and I started our diet today. icon_cry.gif Will have to give them away ( after sneaking some). icon_evil.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 31

Hmmm... Chass must be keeping tabs on me. I happen to have some banana bread ready bananas here, but I have one too many and was trying to figure out what to do with it! icon_biggrin.gif And I have extra Bettercreme in the fridge that needs to be used. Could this be perfect??

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #9 of 31

Sounds good Chass !
Happy belated Birthday GrandmaG!!

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 31

Thanks Fiddlesticks!

Melvira Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #11 of 31

Ok, just mixed them up... they are in the oven. Has anyone else made them yet? The batter is SO thick! It's more of a drop biscuit dough than a cake batter. I am hopeful it will taste really good though. Believe it or not, I am out of homemade caramels, but I had some toffee crumbles, so I used those instead. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly, even though I wanted to tweak! Hehehe. We'll see how they taste when they come out! I can't wait.

Melvira Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #12 of 31

Ok, just got them out and tried one warm. Mmmmm... I love that. icon_lol.gif Anyway, these are definitely more like banana biscuits, but that's not a bad thing. I ate part of one with butter on it because that's just what sounded good in my head because it is so biscuity. The flavor was good, but if I made them over, I would definitely add a little salt and some vanilla. Overall, not bad at all, just not what you will make when you want a cakey cupcake. These are very substantial though, due to the heavier drier texture.
LL

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 31

Yunmmy Chass, can't wait to try these!!

Dawn

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 31

Last night I had a dream that I was in the store looking for dulce de leche and I couldn't find it. The lady in the store kept pointing to where it was and I still couldn't find it. Then I wake up come on to CC and this is the fist thing I read. When I saw dulce de leche as an ingredient, I just started laughing. Lately I've been having the STRANGEST dreams. But back to the subject, I can't wait to try these, I just hope I can find the dulce de leche icon_lol.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #15 of 31

it must be meant to be.

I made these cuppies a few weeks ago. I got the recipe from 'How to eat a cupcake blog' ( I double checked to make sure it was the same)

I wanted something banana and different. I got it.

I totally agree with Mel, they are more muffin-y then cupcake-ish. If they werent as dense, I might have enjoyed them more, but I liked the flavor.

I just cant figure out how to post a pic .... it always says "image must be less than 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels high" and I havent a clue how to change it.

Ill add it to my photos, it should be the last addition, the one with a banana slice ont icon_razz.gif op

chassidyg Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 31

Sorry, I had a family catastrophe last night & an awful head exploding headache, then spent another 2 hrs changing our home phone number...not a good night icon_sad.gif

The offee is indeed supposed to be "toffee", and it does come from the banoffee pie. They look yummy Mel! I may have to wait till Thursday to try them! It was hard, I had 3 I wanted to post, but had to pick 1 icon_sad.gif

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 31

Thanks for posting the results so fast Mel and Jess. I might skip these. I love the idea of bananas and caramel but I don't care much for the biscuit type cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 31

Oh no Chass... sorry to hear that. Hope you're OK now!!

I had one of these this morning and have to say, just like a biscuit, they are better hot and fresh. Not that they were bad... just not as good. They really don't even remind me of a muffin honestly... I make banana bread and muffins but they come out more cakey than this. I almost wanna crack these open and pour gravy over 'em. Hehehe. But I don't know that the banana flavor would be so great with sausage. icon_rolleyes.gif

My 3YO ate one and he seemed to like them just fine!! He loves anything mommy makes really, so I didn't expect him to turn up his nose. Well, that, and I called it a cupcake, so he thought he was getting a serious treat!

chassidyg Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 31

So....based off what Mel said...I totally 100% cheated icon_biggrin.gif I took a yellow mix, threw in some brown sugar, some banana & all I had were some of that heath toffee topping that comes in a bag by the chocoalte chips....and mixed that up & baked it icon_biggrin.gif Smells good & tastes good, & definitely a cuppycake, and finished the topping correctly....very yum!

GrandmaG Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:00pm
post #20 of 31

I think it's safe to pick a new submitter, Chass, if you want. icon_smile.gif Or at least start the pick a number thing. I think the interest is dying down for the CCCC but I'm still interested if everyone else is.

chassidyg Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 31

Ok, everyone pm a number between 1 & 300, I'll give it till Monday to get numbers, then pick a new one!!

The cupcakes made with the yellow cake, are definitely yummy....so, I'm thinking, follow the recipe for a breakfast cuppy, cheat for a dessert cuppy icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #22 of 31

Thanks for the tip Chass! I'm going to try the new version out! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 31

I have a feeling there are lots of our cuppy buddies either on a weight loss plan or still trying to eat up left over desserts from the Holidays. I alos noticed that CC has been a little laid back since the holiday to, the problems with CC itself and also the threads have seemed a little slower then normal ( meaning peolpe chatting) Maybe thats why there is not to much interest yet.

Melvira Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #24 of 31

Yah, don't get too discouraged yet... with all the downtime, etc. people are having trouble getting in and stuff, so it's not necessarily a disinterest! So Chass... little Miss Cheater Pants... hehehe... are the cuppies good today? I wish I had one! thumbs_up.gif I have a couple of the chocolate malt ones leftover from an order... I guess that will have to do!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #25 of 31

Yeah!! I'm back in!! I didn't get a notice that you all resumed after the break~ CC has been so crazy for me lately....Chass! I know you're getting ready to pick the next one....was wondering, if I do your "100% cheated" version....does that still count? And if I use choc chips instead of caramels or toffee bits? I know it's not the same but I don't have either or the other. What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and try it or just wait until the next one??

Hope everyone had fabulous holidays!!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #26 of 31

Ah, Michelle, I'd just wait. We determined quickly that this one wasn't a pure winner, and if you change all the ingredients, it's not really like making this recipe. So just make one of your old faves until we get a new one. Just my opinion there of course, I don't mean to sound like I'm ordering you around!! NOW GO DO MY DISHES!! Hahahahaha!!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #27 of 31

Okay.... I just submitted by number for the next round.

I don't remember the initial rules though... does it have to be a scratch recipe or can it be a doctored mix?? Can it be an recipe with alcohol in it??

Melvira Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #28 of 31

A la Grease... the rules are, there are no rules! Well, nothing formal anyway. It can be ANYTHING!

GrandmaG Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #29 of 31

No rules on what to pick Mcdonald! We just ask that everyone goes by the original recipe the first try. I make a Black Russian cake with Vodka and Kahlua in it and it is so good! It is also a doctored mix! Cake Love uses alcohol a lot and it really brings a lot of flavor to the cakes.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #30 of 31

Here is CCCC #9.....Cookies and Cream Cupcakes!!!!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6208003.html#6208003

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%