I Need Your Opinion!

Decorating By tx_cupcake Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm by IcedTea4Me2

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 20

Okay, not only will this be my first cake made for someone other than family, but I'm getting paid too!
A friend found this cake on the internet, and I feel pretty confident that I can do it but I would like some feedback as to how you pros out there would attempt it.

If the attachment is not showing, here is a link to a pic of the cake:
http://cakesbymari.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Sesame_Street.32150816_std.jpg

She needs the cake Saturday and for it to feed around 45 people.

Thanks!
LL

19 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 20

txcupcake - I looked at your photos and I don't think you will have a problem with doing the Elmo cake....it is so darn cute. Secure cupcakes for the head and fill with BC for the bodies. Do your writing and edges first....then the bodies. 12/12 should be large enough... If there is a bunch of kids....maybe a smaller cake and cupcakes of Elmo for the little ones. just a thought.

Post picture.......

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 20

You can do it!!

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 20

you will never know unless you try, and regret is worse than a no so perfect cake... your cakes are beautiful, just take your time and try not to stress... we are all here for ya!

Best of luck, and send us pics!

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 20

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm really excited about doing this cake - and not just because I'm getting paid.

Terrylee, thanks so much for the suggestion of cupcakes for the kids. That will be a really good way to use the left over batter from the smash cake.

Do you think I should dowel the "heads" to secure them?

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 20

I'm not as experienced as some of the other folks here but I would say that you should be able to get away with a couple of toothpicks and perhaps a skewer to hold the cupcakes on. This looks like a really fun cake icon_smile.gif

emmakate218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmakate218 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 20

Good luck!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 20

Another idea would be to make the bodies from rice krispy treats, that way you can form them how you want, and then frost them right on the cake.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 20

How funny, there's actually a cake almost exactly like this by lees_luv on the home page right now. She did a great job, and so will you!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 20

Judging by your photos, heck yes, you can do that cake. It looks to me like they used a small ball shaped cake pan for the heads. Or you could just start with a square piece of cake and carve the corners off each until they're round enough.

A 10" square serves 40; a 12" square will serve 60.

I'd put a dowel through the top of the heads just slightly diagonally all the way into the cake to secure the heads, then ice them. You're going to put quite a bit of icing on the heads when you pipe on all that hair and it'll be heavier than you might think. I wouldn't trust it to a couple of toothpicks. You'll traumatize those kids if their heads fall off in the middle of the party!

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:21pm
post #11 of 20

Here is a picture of the cake in progress from someone on this site
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=41029

hope that helps

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 20

Here is a picture of the cake in progress from someone on this site
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=41029

hope that helps

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 20

Wow!!!! very good job you are really talented please post the final cake, thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , you can tell that it is going to be amazing if you can give us some tips about the characters will be so nice of you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Good job, and congratulations thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

You'll traumatize those kids if their heads fall off in the middle of the party!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Great point!

@ sayhellojana - I hadn't thought of that, although I've heard a lot of talk on here about sculpting rice krispy treats. I have to admit that I'm not sure how to go about it. Are the rice krispy treats that pliable?

@ sweeteats0919 - Thanks for the pic! I didn't know this was such a popular cake!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm going to make a 12x12, double layered cake, so I'm thinking that should be more than enough.

I will definitely post pics when I'm finished. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #15 of 20

I've played with them, but never used them on a cake. They aren't pliable. It's more like, you need to squish them very very tightly and if you need a shape you can't bend it to, but it with a knife till you get there. I think you could do it. I think it would be easier and more stable than cake. Just my opinion

tx_cupcake Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 20

Here it is! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and my co-worker loved it!
LL

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 20

Thats lovely, its exactly like the original picture, just perfect!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #18 of 20

Oh, that is so cute!!! We all said that you could do it, and you proved us right. Congratulations!

tx_cupcake Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks so much! I am really proud of it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 20

You did a great job!

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%