Embarassing Female Question (Maybe Tmi)

Lounge By krysoco Updated 23 May 2009 , 7:33pm by krysoco

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 53

Short version of my story:
I have been having a yeast infection since before X-mas. Nothing seems to really help. Any suggestions for stuff yall use that seems to help you?

Long version:
It has been reoccurring about every 6 wks. for about 6 mon. now. I personally believe it was never completely wiped out of my system. My doctor & midwife don't seem to be concerned about it. My problem is that NOTHING has seemed to work. Swabbing w/gentian violet only provided minimal relief. I'm at my wits end. I'm to the point that I'm thinking maybe its more than just a YI. Although vag. cultures & saliva samples show yeast and nothing more. Does anyone have any suggestions for things they found helpful w/this?

52 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 53

Sorry I can't help with this one, but I've read that if it keeps happening to have your partner checked out. Men can get it too and show no signs and just keep re-infecting their partners.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 53

Sorry I can't be of more help but the one time I did have a YI, I Googled signs/symptoms/treatments and found that many people reported success using yogurt swabs. Personally, I used one of the 3-day over-the-counter treatments which worked but since that's not working for you, maybe you can try this: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1002.html

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 53

Been there icon_cry.gif

look up candida albican on the web..that will give you lots of options.. it could be a whole lotta things in your system doing it. Even antibiotics can cause an over growth of yeast. Or even a whole lotta little things that each contribute.

also try a over the counter supplement called AZO- If I remember right it's for yeast and you take one every day...

good luck! hope it gets better!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Sorry I can't help with this one, but I've read that if it keeps happening to have your partner checked out. Men can get it too and show no signs and just keep re-infecting their partners.

Agree. Happened to hubby and me. He had to take medicine for it and kept teasing me about he never had to take medicine with any other women! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (Yes, on behalf of women everywhere, I smacked the snot out of him for it!)

What ticked me off is the medical profession can't figure out a medication for ME that isn't sticky, gooey, messy and inconvenient .... but for a man, it's nice and easy in pill form. icon_mad.gif

krysoco Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 53

I think the problem came in w/antibiotics. 3 times the doc put me on them for a supposed bladder infection. I didn't think that it was from the begininng. Apparently it was yeast, the antibiotics were only CONTRIBUTING to the problem instead of helping me.

I can tolerate the burning/itching feeling. It's the swelling/inflammation that's driving me crazy! icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 53

I definately agree with the partner thing! But if it's relief from the itching you're looking for and not afraid of a mess try this... put plain yogurt either on yourself on on a maxi-pad. Really slather it on LOL. Maybe it's only the coldness of it or maybe the probiotics really help, but the one time I had a raging YI it was the only thing that kept me from squirming !

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 53

I've had recurrent, bad UTIs for two years. Had a CT scan, bladder scope, blood tests... Nothing the docs could find pointed to a cause. They just gave me more and more antibiotics. Finally saw a program on tv about candida, and some of the symptoms it can cause, and the lightbulb went on in my head. I self-treated (via diet changes) for candida and have been infection free since June. Perhaps candida could be a cause for you, too?

Good luck in your search for relief!

Deanna

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 8:58am
post #9 of 53

Bake bread icon_eek.gif

krysoco Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Bake bread icon_eek.gif

wth? icon_biggrin.gif

zzzorba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zzzorba Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 53

eew. typical guy's response. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 53

If the infection is recurring and your significant other isn't infected have your blood sugars checked. People who are diabetic will suffer from yeast infections quite frequently if the sugars are out of control.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #13 of 53

Have you tried using an unscented soap. Sometimes the scented soap products or even bubble bath can cause them and reoccur often.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

If the infection is recurring and your significant other isn't infected have your blood sugars checked. People who are diabetic will suffer from yeast infections quite frequently if the sugars are out of control.

Didn't know that! Good info to have!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #15 of 53

DIFLUCAN (Fluconazole).....it's a prescription in pill form and you generally only need to take one pill, but sometimes a second dose a few days later is needed. I have always had problems with yeast and this has been the best thing I've found. I even have a standing prescription for it. The problem is, yeast lives other places in your body so using the OTC creams, etc. treats a specific area topically, but if the yeast is systemic it will come back. Taking this medication orally puts it throughout your entire body. There is a really good book called "The Yeast Connection and the Woman" you might want to try to find. You can PM me if you want to ask anything more personal, maybe I can help. Good luck!

Oh, and the Gentian Violet thing......what a MESS!! I used to use that on my babies when they got thrush in their mouths. So, before I found out about Diflucan, decided to use it.......down there......except I forgot I had my yearly appt. the same week, and also that I'd used it a few days previous......I bet the Dr.s are still laughing about that one!!! Actually, that WAS when I found out about Diflucan!

I'll never forget the Dr.s face when he asked, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF??!!!"

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #16 of 53

are you pregnant? i had it when i was pregnant with my third daugther. didn't talk to my midwife about cause i think that it would go away once i had my daughter. turns out i was correct..

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #17 of 53

Hope you get to the bottom of it - I can just imagine how uncomfortable you must be.

I had thrush a few years ago. No one ever figured out how or why I got it - but that was horrible. I had to stay home from work. The rinse the dr. prescribed stained my mouth and teeth bright yellow. It was yucky tasting too.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #18 of 53

I second the Diflucan. Its expensive as all get out but worked really quickly for me. I kept getting bladder infections when I was pregnant for my last baby and lived on antibiotics. It was horrible!. I'd rather have the flu than go through that again. My little boy ended getting yeast infections on his bottom after he was born and the Drs in the NICU gave him liquid Diflucan.

It works wonders and you don't have do deal with the messy greasy lotions.

Good Luck, I know how it feels to want to scratch your hoohah with a steel wire brush!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:55am
post #19 of 53

Lactobacillus Acidophilus
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactobacillus/NS_patient-acidophilus

I learned about this from a doc I once had that refused to give me any Rx than the one she was getting kickbacks for. I refused it and she said, "well then, you can take lactobacillus acidophilus, it will take a few weeks, but your infection will go away." So, I took it and it worked. Now, whenever I get first signs of a UTI, I take it. Also, if I am taking antibiotics, I always take acidophilus 2 hours before or after taking the antibiotics (the meds can kill the acidophilus).

My daughter also gets UTIs often. We now give her acidophilus daily to prevent infections. If she goes without it for several days, we start to see the early signs of a UTI.

The brand I prefer is Nature's Way Primadophilus (they make chewables or powders for kids and regular pills for adults, though I take the chewables). It's not always easy to find. In my store, it is in the organic section, refridgerated. I don't buy any kind off of the shelf as it is not very potent. Once, the store was out of the Prima, so I bought another kind, and a week later my daughter had a full blown UTI.

Good luck to you!

krysoco Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #20 of 53

Thanks for all the good info. BUT...
I've already been on Diflucan 3 times. It didn't do any good. The creams whether prescript or OTC only makes things worse.
I'm currently on probiotics.
I do need to check my sugar though.
I sure as hell better not be preggo.
I did start on BC pills so I'm wondering if that contributed to the problem.
I did test my DH and he has an overgrowth of yeast too. I'll be treating him too.

Thanks everyone!

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #21 of 53

ok so this sounds a littlle wierd, so no funny looks or laughing at me! Ive never had a yeast infection but last week i thought maybe i was getting one. I itched, i burned and i was starting to swell a little. Well i wasnt going to the store or anything so i used the only thing i had on hand to try and releave my discomfort, are you ready for this.... it was Balmex! icon_eek.gif yes Balmex, for those of you who are saying"whats balmex", its diaper rash cream!! icon_surprised.gif Want to know whats even crazier....it worked!!! After using it for a couple days, im discomfort free! thats right if i had a yeast infection, i dont anymore. and you want to know what else....i slept like a baby! icon_wink.gif get it? funny right? ok i ll stop now! Krysoco, i hope you find something that works fo you, good luck!

krysoco Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna1487

.... it was Balmex! icon_eek.gif yes Balmex, for those of you who are saying"whats balmex", its diaper rash cream!! icon_surprised.gif Want to know whats even crazier....it worked!!! After using it for a couple days, im discomfort free! thats right if i had a yeast infection, i dont anymore. and you want to know what else....i slept like a baby!

This might be an even crazier question. Did you use that vaginally or externally? icon_redface.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

I think the problem came in w/antibiotics. 3 times the doc put me on them for a supposed bladder infection. I didn't think that it was from the begininng. Apparently it was yeast, the antibiotics were only CONTRIBUTING to the problem instead of helping me.

I can tolerate the burning/itching feeling. It's the swelling/inflammation that's driving me crazy! icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.

You're probably right about the antibiotics. I recently was on antibiotics for a sinus infection. My doctor said the the antibiotics would kill some good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. He suggested that I eat yogurt with the antibiotics or I'd almost certainly get a yeast infection.

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #24 of 53

Any sudden change in hormone levels can lead to a YI. I tend to get one whenever I get pregnant or before I start my period. (Only 2 periods in 2 years due to having baby and nursing... yeast infections both times)
That TMI said, birth control could play a factor. Whoever gave you that advice about your hubby though... good stuff there. Getting him under control is going to be a HUGE help.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #25 of 53

krysoco, i did both, alot on the outside and a little around the inside icon_redface.gif , i figured if it was ok for a baby its ok for me. And you thought you were putting out too much info. icon_biggrin.gif

krysoco Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #26 of 53

My GYN called yesterday. I paid for some expensive cultures and a pap to reveal only inflammation and yeast. I knew I had both. But it was negative for cancer. My doc still wants to do a biopsy anyway. From there, he'll decide if I need a cryosurgery. He said women can still have cancer with a negative pap. He wants to be safe than sorry. I agree but am still confused. I'm guessing he thinks theres something other than yeast.??? I do too. It's hard to believe yeast has caused me these problems. I thought YI were just a nuisance not a major health crisis. LOL My health store sent me some Olive Leave to take. Hope that works b/c nothing else has. I'm back to miserably hurting again. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I'm trying to think positive.

krysoco Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #27 of 53

sorry DP

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #28 of 53

Ok this may sound weird but have a blood test to test for herpes. I know you may be like what but you can have herpes for years and years and not even know and sometimes it can present itself as a yeast infection. Also do you eat a lot of yogurt? Some women get yeast infections if they eat yogurt. Those are my ideas good luck.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #29 of 53

Ok, uti, urinary tract infection and a yeast infection are two different animals. Antibiotics get rid of utis and they actually can cause a yeast infection. In fact the only time I ever got one I was taking antibiotics. I was always able to use the cream topically and get some relief from the itching and burning, but if they aren't helping I'm not sure what would. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:15am
post #30 of 53

I used to get yeast infections on my breast after I had my 3rd DD. I had to treat mysel and her. Has your husband been treated also?

I also started drinking the yogart drinks and that helped a lot. I couldn't really stand them but I would force myself to drink the ones that had like 4% to 6% juice. Once I started drinking the yogart drinks, I quit having the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%