Does Anyone Know How This Was Done?

Decorating By Mom2LiamandQuinn Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm by franjmc

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

I found this cake on flickr and I love the fondant effect on it. Can anyone figure out how the fondant was done? I'm just not good at visual stuff like that and can't quite picture how it was cut/applied. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2762242742/sizes/l/

7 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 8

That is almost too perfect to be cake. Is it possibly a dummy? That still wouldn't explain how it was done, but would make the perfection more possible.

Hope someone has an idea.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 8

why not ask franjmc yourself....

she's a member here on a CC

her profile: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=20210

you could PM her.

or if you're a member of Flikr, send her a flikrmail message

----

i'm betting a pasta machine was used to get it so thin.

but as for cutting and piecing together, I am clueless

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 8

I agree with doug as far as using the pasta machine to get it very thin. My guess is that they made a template to cut the rainbow from or took a straight piece of fondant about 1-1.5" thick and then cut on angle from the top to the middle of the piece to get that curved look and applied the same as any other fondant piece.
But you should contact the maker for more info.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 8

franjmc says:

The pot has tiny little coins made from thinly rolled icing and cut out with a number 4 icing tip, then they are allowed to dry and placed inside a jar with edible gold dust. I shook the jar and this coated them all with the gold colour. The stripes are all made with coloured fondant, rolled through a pasta machine on the same setting so they're the same thickness, then I just cut them freehand to the shape I want.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 8

cute cake though!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 8

I was gonna suggest you contact Fran as well...but I see Doug beat me to the punch!! Good luck if you recreate it!!

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 8

This was most definitely a cake, not a dummy.
The rainbow effect was done, as Doug suggested, by rolling the fondant through a pasta machine to get an even thickness, after that I just eyeballed the strips and placed them on to the cake.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but if you've ever put stripes all the way around a cake you'll understand that each strip needs to be placed up against the previous one and then trimmed to shape/size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%