Adding Tylose To Choco-Pan Fondant

Decorating By Banana0501 Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:42am by BlakesCakes

Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

This is the first time I will be creating a cake topper (the initial "C") for a wedding cake and I think that straight fondant will not harden sufficiently. Can anyone tell me the ratio of tylose to add? Also, the best way to secure the initial upright on the cake? Thanks in advance.

3 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 4

I use 5ml to 100g of fondant, but that is just plain fondant not coco-pan. You might think about using gumpaste, Nicolas Lodge has a great recipe on his site. It dries very fast and rock hard

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 4

Second the all gumpaste...and make it as far ahead as possible. Fondant with Tylose may work but I'd make it at least a week ahead. I've never used Chocopan so I am not sure that would work.

As for standing the initial up, I break toothpicks in half and insert two per initial while the gumpaste is still soft. It works great! There are several examples in my pics.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 4

Others may disagree, but I'd suggest not wasting Choco Pan on this. The tylose doesn't work as well in it because of all the oil in the chocolate. It makes the Choco Pan grainy, but doesn't really aid in drying it out or making it stretchy (as it's already pretty stretchy to begin with).

All gum paste is the fastest to dry. 50/50 give you a bit more fiddling time.

I make supports out of thick, uncooked spaghetti or lollipop sticks in order to be able to classify it as edible (toothpicks make it technically inedible).

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%