Best Buttercream Recipe For Roses?

Baking By CourtneysSweets Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 4:24am by bobwonderbuns

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #1 of 4

I haven't tried much recipes yet as I only have a hand mixer (for now) but I want to know a good butter cream recipe that works well with making roses. Also I'm pretty new at all this icon_redface.gif how long does it last if you make the roses ahead of time? Thanks so much any tips for a newbie I'd appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 4

First off, Welcome to CC!! (Better known as your new addiction! icon_biggrin.gif)

For roses, any stiffer consistency buttercream will work. Roses will last quite a while made ahead of time, even out of buttercream. Just let them air dry on a cookie sheet. Hope that gives you a start. icon_biggrin.gif

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I actually just discovered this website yesterday and have been browsing all day! I'm very excited to learn and try different things. I haven't really done too much cake decorating only cookies/cupcakes. So I'm really anxious to learn all I can!! icon_smile.gif Do you have any preferable recipes for the roses or does any recipe work? I have tried a buttercream one that just wasn't stiff enough for roses but worked perfect for spreading. icon_sad.gif
Thanks again!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #4 of 4

Any buttercream recipe can be thinned out for spreading and thickened up for piping roses. I recommend you find a "crusting" buttercream recipe -- one that will develop a thin skin on it which will make it easier to smooth out. One of our members named Melvira has developed a technique for smoothing using a foam roller of all things! Sugarshack has an excellent buttercream recipe, as does Indydebi. Check the recipes forum and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%