My 20-Qt Mixer Died ... Kinda!!

Business By indydebi Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:59am by Sweet_Guys

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #1 of 17

It won't turn off! I have to unplug the thing to get it to turn off! At least it died in the "on" position!!

Hubby came to look at it and said he thinks it needs a new switch (duh!) Then said, ".... if I can find one on the internet, I can replace it."

oh sure .... I can just sit here, practically dead in the water with a mixer that KINDA works while I WAIT for him to scour the internet HOPING to find the right part.,....and then get around to fixing it.

He has until tomorrow to fix it. Monday at 8:00 a.m., I'm calling a REAL repair guy!!

I can take my 5-qt KA down to the shop if I need to, but dang, that'll be like going back to an Easy Bake Oven after being used to my big one! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

16 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 17

LOL call the repairman quick!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 17

call the repairman maybe he can just sell you the part you need. If not depending on how busy you are it will be well worth the service call to get it fixed right away.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 17

Sorry to hear that, Debi! But, if you have the 5 qt, at least it's better than stirring by hand! icon_smile.gif

Paul & Peter

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 17

Good luck Indy. I got my 20 qt. for a steal ($250) had to make a $65 repair (seal leaked) and still haven't been able to use it because my upcoming commercial kitchen is moving along at an excrutiatingly slow pace. Can you legally use a KA in a commercial kitchen--I just have so many questions about the set up of my kitchen-our county sanitarian will be here next week to advise us...but anyway, sorry about your 20-qt. baby!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Good luck Indy. I got my 20 qt. for a steal ($250) had to make a $65 repair (seal leaked) and still haven't been able to use it because my upcoming commercial kitchen is moving along at an excrutiatingly slow pace. Can you legally use a KA in a commercial kitchen--I just have so many questions about the set up of my kitchen-our county sanitarian will be here next week to advise us...but anyway, sorry about your 20-qt. baby!

Certainly you can use it in a commercial setting. What level of food code is your state using? I would suggest getting a copy, it will tell ypou about eqipment.

Debi, bummer about the mixer. Can you get a foot control switch. They make them for power tools. It might not be the ideal situation, but it will cure the problem fast. http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145968&FamilyID=20340. There is a woodcraft in Indy.

Mike

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 17

i'd still use it while you're waiting...maybe plug it into a extention cord thingy that has that power button on it....and turn it off and on with that.

dude, i hade to go back to the lil mixer for a few months a couple years ago when i broke my wrist.....IT IS NOT GROOVY ....ha ha ha

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 17

......Can you legally use a KA in a commercial kitchen-..........

It depends entirely on the particular inspector you geticon_sad.gif Some will have a cow while others look the other way. I used one in IN

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i'd still use it while you're waiting...maybe plug it into a extention cord thingy that has that power button on it....and turn it off and on with that.

That is a great idea!

I'm still calling the repair guy on Monday .... I have teenagers working in there after school, 3 days a week, and I'm not putting them in any situation that is remotely dangerous or harmful.

It's also a great opportunity, though, for me to point out to both of them why it's VERY important that we keep a good supply of cookie dough balls stocked up in the freezer .... "just in case" and "ya never know"!

Lemons ... lemonade ... blah blah blah! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 17

I had the same problem with my Kitchen Aid - found a part online, but it turned out I didn't need it. My brother came over, took the whole thing apart, scratched his head for a while, realized he had the wrong part, paced back and forth, ate some Cheez-Its, put it all back together, plugged it in, and KAZAAM!! It worked, better than ever.

So maybe you just need some Cheez-Its? Or a little more head scratching?

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabellemarie

So maybe you just need some Cheez-Its? Or a little more head scratching?

icon_lol.gif That must be what's missing!! Two guys, staring intently at it, scratch their heads (and then jiggle their manly parts), gulp a beer, belch a couple of times, put some duct tape on it somewhere and then tell me, "Yep! That'll hold!" icon_lol.gif

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Two guys, staring intently at it, scratch their heads (and then jiggle their manly parts), gulp a beer, belch a couple of times, put some duct tape on it somewhere and then tell me, "Yep! That'll hold!"

Debi - it's been keeping my house standing for years!! There must be SOMETHING to it!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #13 of 17

Debi....I saw a slogan on the side of a contractor's truck today and thought of you while laughing.....

"We fix what your husband repairs!"

So you better get ahold of that repairman.....quick!

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Debi....I saw a slogan on the side of a contractor's truck today and thought of you while laughing.....

"We fix what your husband repairs!"

So you better get ahold of that repairman.....quick!

ROFL!!!!! I bet they make a fortune, too!!!!

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #15 of 17

I object to the holding manly parts....When in doubt, WE call for help!!!

Paul & Peter

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

I object to the holding manly parts....When in doubt, WE call for help!!!

Paul & Peter

Next you'll try to convince us that you read how-to-assemble instructions and when lost, you stop and ask for directions! icon_lol.gif (Nah ...we'll still luv ya anyway!)

Which reminds me of a story:
Hubby and I, and my sis and her hubby, were all 4 in a grocery store once. Brother in law found whatever it was we were looking for. Hubby said, "How did you find it?" BIL hung head sheepishly and said, "I broke down....I ask someone." Hubby points finger at BIL and says, "That's it! Turn in your Man-Card!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:59am
post #17 of 17

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Tell your BIL he is THE man!!!!

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%