Just Delivered My Second Wedding Cake, Some Questions...

Decorating By therbug Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm by cheftaz

therbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therbug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 9

I just delivered my second wedding cake. I was pleased with the end result, but I had some problems along the way. First with the filling, she wanted fresh strawberry filling. I have made it many times and never had a problem until today. It just kept blowing out and running down the side of the cake. I ended up scooping it out and filling it with strawberry buttercream. Could that be because I used frozen strawberries instead of fresh? Could I have added gelatin or cornstarch? I also had a problem with the strawberry buttercream being too soft. Could that be the same problem or should I have used more shortening instead of butter? Then I had some issues with the ganache, it had little air bubbles that I couldn't get out. What causes that and how can I fix it if it happens again? Sorry so many questions! Thank you for all of your help!

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 9

Very good questions so no apology for "so many"! thumbs_up.gif

Yes, I would think the frozen strawberries contributed to the runoff. I'm assuming you let them thaw a bit but even still, they hold a LOT of moisture when frozen, so as they thawed completely, there was a LOT of liquid stored up in there. more than you would find in a fresh strawberry.

If you used the frozen strawberries mixed with BC to make the strawberry BC, then I'd say yes, same problem. you added a LOT more liquid to the BC when you added the strawberries. It can be balanced just by adding more sugar to the mixture.

The good news is that now you're "experienced" in this and know what to do ... and what not to do .... next time! thumbs_up.gif

Was the ganache a poured ganache or was it a whipped ganache that you spread on the cake? (Sorry, I didn't check your pics before flipping screens.)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 9

frozen strawberries are notorious for "weeping" -- releasing their juices -- so not surprising so many troubles.

i've only ever turned strawberries into jam/jelly and that use pectin and a whole TON of sugar (so it seems) -- so not sure how best to stabilize -- tho' I'd try gelatin first as cornstarch has to be cooked to reach full thickening power and if going to cook the strawberries might as well turn them in jam.

therbug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 9

Thank you indydebi! For the ganache, it was poured ganache. I used cheftaz recipe.

therbug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

frozen strawberries are notorious for "weeping" -- releasing their juices -- so not surprising so many troubles.

i've only ever turned strawberries into jam/jelly and that use pectin and a whole TON of sugar (so it seems) -- so not sure how best to stabilize -- tho' I'd try gelatin first as cornstarch has to be cooked to reach full thickening power and if going to cook the strawberries might as well turn them in jam.

Thank you. That is what I thought but I was hoping frozen would work fine. Now I know for next time!

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 9

so what exactly is the best way to use frozen strawberries in a filling? is it possible to do it or just better not to?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 9

I make sure their completely thawed and then I also add gelatin and a jar of strawberry preserves to it. And if they still look soupy then you want to use a straining spoon (with the wholes in it) to get rid of some of the liquid. Make sure that its room temp when you fill also helps! And I will add a pint of fresh strawberrys to this to boot just in case! And more sugar!!

therbug Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 9

I think I figured out the strawberry problem thanks to all your help! Im still confused as to why my ganache is getting air bubbles. I made another batch and it did the same thing. icon_confused.gif

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

For the ganache---are you using a whisk???? because that will cause many air bubbles. I use a spatula and gently stir it all together and never have bubbles. What you could do is when you pour the cream onto the chocolate lightly bang the bowl on the counter a couple times to release the air bubbles. Maybe even a couple more times while it is sitting and before gently stirring (don't use a whisk)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%