55 Year Class Reunion

Decorating By CINDY1956 Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 2:15am by dmhart

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

can you please help me with some ideas on this one? I have been asked by the couple who have taken us under thier wings for the last 6 months.(we were in the floods this summer, and lost everything and they have given us a place to stay) anyway this why this is so special for me, to make something really great for her...and I've been out of the cake thing since then, so just thinking about this I get overwhelmed...
she's in charge of her 55 yr. class reunion in June and wants me to make the cake and help her decorate...I said I would as it's the lest I could do for her!!!!
Not sure what would be really cool. I am getting my edible printer going again I hope..Thought about a big sheet cake with all the grad's pictures on it.. or maybe smaller cakes for each table, that way it would be like a center piece also...would also like to incorporate the 1950's theme...
she said 5 years ago they had a cake with the picture of the high school on it, so that one out...any one have thoughts on this??? thanks

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 6

tho' it would take a horrendously long time ---

got access to the yearbook for their graduation year?

if so....

could scan each and every grad portrait...

then print each out individually so they could be cut out and placed on super fancy cupcake filled with something heavenly.

then have lots of options....

one big table displaying all the cupcakes in a "class portrait" style
or
lets play the match the pic from then to the person now game.
or
could use as "place cards" at each of the tables (would have to go through the whole room to find yours and in the process see lots of others -- photo and the real person too)

or extra fun, tho' doubt any would be there -- toss in a few extra with pics of teachers, staff, admin and a few underclass boyfriends/girlfriends.

------------

totally different idea.....

play up the 55 idea

55 -- the new 40

55 -- slow down and enjoy our lives

55 -- it cost a nickle back then and $55 today

-----------

do a BOB HOPE theme -- he was a BIG entertainer back then...

"Thanks for the Memories"

"The Road to ......" (he and Bing Crosby did a whole series of "Road to ...." Films -- this one could be the "The Road to Our Youth" or "The Road to Our Lost Memories" -- then could play up the road theme everywhere (and even do a take off on Wiz of Oz's yellow brick road)

-----

then of course there's

ELVIS!!!!

shhhhh he's still alive and at the reception! (hmmm if did the cupcake idea above -- could put his pic on one and add a few of other famous stars of the era!)

which of course includes poodle skirts, sock hops, etc., etc., etc. (and allows tie-ins to Bye Bye Birdie and Grease!)

----

If they have a warped sense of humor ---

do a take off on the now infamous atomic war drill -- Duck and Cover!

something like -- time to duck all our responsibilities and cover our tracks!

------

have fun and do post the results (aren't you glad there's angels among us ?)

CINDY1956 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 6

THANKS DOUG! I always like your ideas!!! Love the cupcake idea too, the only problem I can see with that is...so many of the people have passed away, she says there was 200 in her class...and only about 100 will show if that... so would have LOTS of cupcakes left over! that's why I thought a big cake...

And your right, their are angels still out there!!! I don't know where we would be today if it wasn't for them....It's been a long hard road, with the flood ,almost lost my husband during the flood, my mother was in the hospital, brother lost his home, father-in-law died, my BIL commited suicide and then on the 20th my brother found out he has a brain tumor! Hoping 2009 will be better!!!

CINDY1956 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

and I can get her year book!!!!
so I could scan a page at a time, and print...wouldn't be too bad...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 6

ohhh.... a yearbook cake collage!

right -- with copies of photos of them, do some of the teams, other events, and even toss in Elvis, Bob and few other celebs!

----

could do cupcakes only for those actually coming and ones w/ the school mascot for the spouses/dates

------------------

OY VEY! -- you've had more than your fair share of troubles! -- thoughts and prayers are with you!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 6

Doug you are so creative. icon_cool.gif I love your ideas. They are so festive and fun. Very imaginative. icon_lol.gif

And Cindy my prayers with you as well. I know you will do some fun and wonderful for your friends. God Bless!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%