How Do You Think This Mini Cake Was Assembled?

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 1:08am by sugarwishes

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have been searching like crazy for Thomas the Train cupcake ideas and came across this mini cake on flickr. I found 2 of them saying it was made from a reg size cupcake and mini cupcake. What do you think, is more that just that? Would I have to carve the cupcakes to be square? Do you think its easier to make a sheet cake and cut out the squares from that?

http://flickr.com/photos/14484385@N02/2662305419/

4 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 5

Those minicakes don't look like they were made from cupcakes to me. Why not write to the person who posted the photo and ask? They are awesome, however they were made!!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 5

The way I interpretted (sp?) the description was that there are Thomas cupcakes (pictures in back) and also Thomas cake. It looks to me like the actual little trains are from a sheet cake like you said and cut to size. I could also have (and I would do) a white choclolate covered cookie for the front of the train (face). fondant accents. Hope this helps, and it made any sense

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 5

ok, went to wordpress site of the original caker -- looks to be Thai or some other similar SE Asia language. --

scrolling through her blog, I found another photo that when clicked linked back to flickr and the comment on that photo was she used CHOCOLATE not fondant -- well she is the "chocolate Chic" so it figures.

yes easy to see how made from reg (the coal bin area) and mini (the water tank/boiler area) cupcakes -- mini looks to be laid sideways.

then lots and lots of building up with the ingredient of choice (chocolate! YES! or fondant -- well ok if i have to -- gumpaste -- BLEEEEEEEEEECH).

and yes could do the coal bin and the base by cutting from a sheet and then taking and putting mini cupcake sideways for boiler. tho' in the interest of time/trouble/easy proportions, I'd probably wimp out and use a Hostess Ho-Ho/Drake Yodel or similar rolled snack cake for the boiler.

here's a link to a diagram for cutting little tiny trains out of a 9x13 sheet cake. (tho' it could be scaled bigger and -- instead of a minicupcake could use thoes Yodels or Ho-Hos.

FULL SIZE DIAGRAM>> http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1298990.html

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 5

WoW Doug, thank you so very much!!!!! thanks to everyone!! I'm going to try this out tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%