Serving Guide For Tall Cakes??

Decorating By korkyo Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm by Toptier

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 6

I love the look of the taller 3 layer cakes used for wedding cakes. I have no idea how to figure the servings and how does the serving size change for cutting.

Does anyone have a chart for this and a cutting how to?

5 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 6

taller tiers dont mean you can get more servings it only means the servings cost more. if your cake tiers are now 50% taller then normal you need to charge 50% more per serving or more since tall teirs are 'special' and not the norm.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 6

SOooooo.. if the cake looks like it is 3 full layers of cake per tier I would use the same serving chart I have but add to the price.

Am I understatding this right? That would make it a hard sell. Hummmmm...

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

that exactly right. another thing to remember is cake is also served on t plates 5"-6" plates, so a serving of a tall cake may not fit

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 6

Good point about the plates!

The last "tall" cake I made was for hubbies graduation. I used the 3" pans, made 2 cakes. By the time I filled it with 3/4" - 1" of cookies & cream, which is a thick mixture which holds up stiff without a dam and then iced and decorated it, the one tier cake was roughly 8" tall. I planned to use some of my dinner plates for the dessert and boy was it necessary!

For a one tier cake, the "tall" cake is indeed dramatic! I've made multi-tiered cakes this way and it's gorgeous, but a handfull to say the least. When the bottom tier of a 3 tier cake requires 4 people to maneuver , that's a big honkin' cake overall!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 6

Well, if you're going for a cake that is 7-8" tall you can use two standard height cakes (each on a board) and stack them with supports. When serving you then have two cakes when you dismantle instead of one and twice the number of servings than if it is one tall cake.

If the cake is just 5-6" tall then I would imagine you could come up with a serving chart that is 20-40% more servings than a standard 4" however the problem becomes cuttings slices that are thinner than 1" wide (standard wedding cake slice) that would one wobbly, tall, thin piece of cake to manuever.

All the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%