Pasta Rollers And Gumpaste....???

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm by ibmoser

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 8

I got the pasta roller attachment for my bday and tried to use it with just straight gumpaste. I think it bakel's. Anyway, it was super sticky and stringy and kind of clogged the roller up a little bit. I got it all out but I was wondering, for those of you that do this, what sort of tips or hints can you give me?? Thanks so much!! icon_lol.gif [....waiting with baited breathe.... icon_rolleyes.gif ]

7 replies
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

In my limited experience with gumpaste, if it is too sticky, add some crisco. When I put gumpaste into my pasta roller, I lightly brush each side with corn starch so it won't stick to the roller. Each time I feed it through I check to see if it needs more corn starch.

HTH
Jen

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 8

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Jen! When I first read your reply I thought you said to use corn SYRUP on the rollers!!! LOL!!! Good thing I read that again!! icon_lol.gif Can you imagine that mess?? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_razz.gif

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 8

That's funny. That would have been a mess!!! Good luck and you can pm me if you have any questions.
Jen

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 8

I use shortening.. works great.. I grease the rollers. I use Nic Lodge's gumpaste recipe.. it's the best I have tried. Simple to make and not sticky at all.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8

1st off......make sure to open the rollers as wide as you can before starting to feed in your gp.
Everyone has suggested how to keep it from being sticky, but if the rollers are too tight for the thickness of the gp you will have the problems you describe.
With each pass thru the rollers tighten them up so it gets thinner & thinner until you are happy w/it. Roll it thru each # up to 7 times before going on to the next #. That's what they suggest for doing Sculpy/polymer clayicon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:30am
post #7 of 8

Thak You so much for the tips, I got a pasta roller to practice my GP flowers but I was going to give it away because I had so much trouble with it. I will try it again before I give it away. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 8

One more thought - you said it might be Bakels gumpaste. I do not like that brand at all - it is soft and never, ever hardens icon_confused.gif . I do live in an extremely high humidity area, but even small pieces put in a food dehydrator for 7 days refused to dry. Nic Lodge's recipe is wonderful. Satin Ice and even Wilton pre-made (use your Michael's and AC Moore coupons!) are far better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%