Any Advice For Getting Over A Disaster/bad Baking Day?

Decorating By dance2874 Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm by Mike1394

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 7

Ever have one of those days where everything you try to do falls short in some way or refuses to cooperate? Yesterday was that day for me. I was doing a dozen cookies and a cake for a friend, a cake I have done once before. No problem I thought- I know how to do it since I have already done it once! WRONG.

My cookie dough was very dry and unworkable- a recipe I have used for 5 yrs with never a problem. Then the cake was a mess. The icing would not set up right in the layers making them shift, the fondant was a nightmare to work with (a new brand for me that I will not use again), my colors didnt come out right and then the darn sun snuck through one of my windows early this am and faded them on top of it. A mess!! My fondant was so lumpy on one of the tiers I had to change the design to cover my mistakes and make it presentable. Luckily she was open to whatever design I wanted to do so she didnt care...but icon_mad.gif Frustrating!

I am finding it hard to shake it and get back on the wagon today. I was going to try something new for a party we are having tomorrow but now I am doubting myself and afraid. Any tips?

6 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

I'd take a little break- something to relax, a cup of tea, read a chapter in a book... do something completely non cake related... pamper yourself and relax/ rest your mind then go back....

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #3 of 7

I've been known to throw little "cake tantrums" when I have days like this. I've even thrown cake before! However, it's really cathartic. icon_biggrin.gif I clean up the mess and then go back at it. Maybe it's the break I take to clean up that helps...

Don't worry though...just a few setbacks. Think about how it feels when you really get something right and are proud of your work. It's all worth it and that's why we do this! Big hug to you!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 7

I've thrown a cake too! I hadn't thought of that in years! It's true that cleaning up helps... I have done that before.. cleaned the kitchen, showered, then gone back to it to start anew...

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 7

Martini, wine, shots...Anything with alcohol icon_biggrin.gif

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimster

EXACTLY!!!

Fix yourself a nice stiff drink ( I prefer vodka and cranberry), sit on the couch and piss and moan about it until you fill better.

Or if your not a drinker, go into your closet with a pillow, shut the door and and scream into the pillow as loud as you can! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimster

That's usually start of a good baking day icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%