I Am A Cake Dork!

Decorating By scoutmamma Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm by IcedTea4Me2

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 49

I just finshed my first chocolate scratch cake, in preparation for my daughters first birthday... and i was dancing around my living room doing a one woman conga line! I called a good friend who also bakes alot, and she said... you are officially a cake dork. Apparently there is no cure for it, but i love it. it is a high all its own. Anyone else got any cool stories of your first couple cakes???

Come on, Cake Dorks Unite!

48 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 49

I will never forget the feeling of total victory when I delivered, set up, and then served my first wedding cake with great success. I had obsessed about that cake for weeks, worrying, fretting, researching, driving my family nuts, but it was all worth it in the end! That first wedding cake has led to many many more wedding cakes and though I was reluctantly talked into making that first cake (I really didn't think I could do it, but my friend had great faith in me, and let's face it, she was desperate since the cake lady that everybody uses around here was double booked icon_smile.gif ) it led me into my real passion in life--who knew that at 46 in a really bad economy, I'd be starting my own legit cake decorating business!! Here's the link to that first attempt in all it's glory. I am without a doubt, a cake dork!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_761573.html

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 49

I may not be cake dork, but I defintely am a cookie dork! I have been know to finish a design, turn the light off (as it is usually around 2 a.m.), walk out of the room, then walk back in to turn on the light to see it one more time. The first time someone requested cookies from me I did the 'Happy Dance' around the kitchen and my husband caught me which most definitely amused him! Yeppers, cookie dork! icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 49

Oh, I am too! My first "wedding" cake was for a cake competition I did here in town. It is the pink one with the roses and hydrangeas on the top in my gallery. I remember working for WEEKS on that thing, and when I finished it, I stepped back, looked at it, and it literally took my breath away. I couldn't stop thinking about cakes after that, and was just dying for opportunities to make more.
I am still a cake dork! I love looking a pics on the web of other people's cakes, I have a million saved on my computer, wanting a reason to make every one. It's awesomeness.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 49

I wear that CAKE DORK hat/apron with pride! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I remember my first time doing that dance too. Congrats you have finally arrived on our DORKY side!!! icon_lol.gif WELCOME!!!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 49

I am a total cake dork!! It's ok.. admitting it is the first step! icon_biggrin.gif I am so glad that I found CC now we can all be dorky together. LOL Normal people just don't get it when you ramble on and on about caking.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 49

I think I qualify as a cake dork! On more than a few occassions I've stood by the bed with cake in hand at 2am waking my husband up so he can see the cake! He opens one eye icon_wink.gif and so good-naturedly says "it's nice honey icon_lol.gif ". Yeah, I think that qualifies icon_biggrin.gif .

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 49

I have been a cake dork from the young age of 9 and now only 21 I am more obsessed then ever! Every time I make a cake my DB is stuck listening to me ask time and time again how does it look and I get the same response every time it looks awesome.... Your not being judged. Ugh they just don't understand.

I too have a ton of pictures on my computer and every time I am online DB(john) says what are you doing more cake stuff ugh.. your addicted.lol

We UNITE princess.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 49

Here!

I get so excited that I don't even let DH get his coat off when he comes in the door from work - it's straight to the cake so he can ooh and aahh! I seriously think about cake ALL the time. I do it for fun, and sell some to friends, so I usually have a month or so to plan it all out, sketch it and get it the way I want. DORK!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I may not be cake dork, but I defintely am a cookie dork! I have been know to finish a design, turn the light off (as it is usually around 2 a.m.), walk out of the room, then walk back in to turn on the light to see it one more time. The first time someone requested cookies from me I did the 'Happy Dance' around the kitchen and my husband caught me which most definitely amused him! Yeppers, cookie dork! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a total cake dork and once you're a dork you're always a dork! icon_biggrin.gif My "moment" came after doing that first fondant cake and realizing I could actually do it! I think I looked at it for two days solid. It was nothing special, but the fact that I was SO interested in learning to work with fondant and having the mystery taken out of it by my fabulous instructor made it so easy and fun. I was hooked!

However - I'm also turning into a cookie dork, in part thanks to the fabulous inspiration from TracyLH! Her cookies are original, beautiful and I'll bet they taste just as wonderful as they look.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 49

You can add me to this list...I have only been caking since this summer! Shortly after getting my first set of pans, I began baking like a crazy woman. I have learned EVERYTHING I know (which is not all that much, but more than the average person), from this WONDERFUL SITE! I have become an addict and I am now the favorite mother in my children's school! I mean, they get to sample lots of things! However, I suffer with terrible migraines, and the stress of orders almost always triggers a headache, so I tend to try to keep the load light. I delivered a cake this past weekend, that was completed in the midst of a full blown migraine, and it was more than a success. The customers were thrilled and BLOWN away. I had very few details, so I just went with my gut. THANK GOODNESS, they loved it. I got the sweetest email from her, and I am so glad I pushed through the pain. The only problem, I had taken sooooo much medicine, I forgot to take a picture!!!!! Oh, well, she is gonna send me one!! HE HE!

When, I read the email, I did the happy dance too. I also called my mom, inlaws, and husband to let them know how pleased she was. OFFICIAL CAKE DORK here!

At least we can support each other!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 49

Do you ever just find yourself thinking of new ideas at any given moment? I am totally obsessed! Any extra money that I do make goes for .... you guessed it new toys to work with! I love trying out new tools and using my family as guinea pigs which they have never had a problem with! icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 49

Who doesn't? I have been looking at the newest gallery pics and just trying to come up with a reason for making someone a particular cake. It is insane. As for my family, no they don't mind eating my experiments, but the sugar high that comes with it, drives me CRAZY!!!! My hubby has begged me to stop keeping the sweets in the house, both of our waistlines have expanded since starting. However, the kiddos got a Wii for Christmas, and I got a Wii Fit. I LOVE THAT THING! I have lost 5 lbs since Christmas, even tasting my goodies. Gotta love that!

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 49

Oh, i am so glad i am not alone! I posted this string and no one replied for what seemed like forever. I started thinking OMG i am a total freak... So thank you for sharing i really appreciate it.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 49

I will have to get in line also. I have not been doing cakes very long but I am obsessed. I dream cakes and think about cakes constantly. My co-workers are soooooo tired of hearing me talk about cakes. However, I am not very creative and find I depend on this site A LOT for inspiration for cake design. Thanks to everyone here.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 49

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am Cake Dork. That's step 1, right? I think about cakes all the time and hope for someone to ask me to make one. I'm spreading the word to all my friends and family. I would do this just for the cost of the ingredients (and/or free) because I enjoy it so much right now. Just the other day we ( my finance and I) were in Home Depot - his heaven. We are planning an addition on his house and there are tons of decisions to be made, things to pick out, etc. I had my pad out writing something down furiously while looking at something on the aisle where the electrical outlet plate covers are. He comes up and says, "Oh, you've found something you like for the house? What is it?" He says this in a very interested and excited way. "Uh, no, actually, I like this design on this plate for a cake." I was drawing it for later.

It's official.

Lisa

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 49

Being a Cake Dork for a long time, everyone around me are used to me being in cake zombie land. No regular conversations around this house, they all lead to cake somehow. I know exactly what you are saying Lisa about going into Home Depot, and finding one of the perfect patterns in there for a cake plate, stand, or design on a cake. I have to keep going to the tile department, and scouring around for something new. I NEVER walk out of there without some kind of idea burning it's way into my brain!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif Sometimes I am still walking out the door sketching as the doors barely open and (thank goodness I have kids, they make sure I don't get hit by cars before getting to mine.

Every store is an adventure. Forget about Christmas shopping this year, I was researching for the bridal show this January. icon_wink.gif

So I am happy to live in Cake Dorksville!!! icon_lol.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 49

I told my hubby about all the new cake dvd's and supplies I bought w/ my xmas money, and he was like, "boy they saw you coming - I love you, cake nerd!..." so, yeah, I think I qualify...lol

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #19 of 49

Yes I am also a Cake Dork And proud of it, I never come out of a store without having taken a picture ( with my cell ) of something a plate design, a fabric, a holiday decoration that would make an awesome cake , or cookie . My family thinks Im crazy..My kids are all grown and everytime I bake something new I send them an email picture , cause Im just sure they cant wait to see it ! he he !! I have more cakes/cookie /baking items ( the important things ) in my pantry then I do reg food items and keep telling my hubby if we get rid of all the reg food supplies I would have plenty of room for my baking needs. No hes not going for it.. well not yet anyway ! Im happy/proud to be a member of the dork club !

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 49

Isn't everyone on this forum a cake dork? I thought it was a requirement! Just before New Year's Eve I went to the local liquor store. Because they had a lot of customers they had all their staff in, who tried to help everyone select items. I went right for the champagne. A young guy starts to help me by telling me about the different brands, "No thanks" I say-I just need this bottle for my champagne cake. Next to the kahlua-for coffee flavored buttercream and ganache, finally to the Baileys-Irish cream cupcakes with toffee and a small bottle of Ameretto and I'm done, Joking he says-"and may I interest you in something to DRINK?" No? Then could you call me when you're done baking-I could come over for a taste test!" Anyway-I think he was joking, I have taught in this town so long it could have been one of my former students and for all I know, he could be coming over! We'll see-

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 49

Yup, I too am a cake dork. I am constantly thinking about cakes. Always looking for a new idea for a design, something I can turn into a cake tool, and scouring the thrift shops and garage sales for cake pans or decorating paraphernalia. My DH lovingly shakes his head and says, " She's a woman out of control". My sister gets e-mailed a picture of everyone of my cakes and when I talk to her I always manage to say something about cakes even when I consciously try not to.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #22 of 49

Proudly waving my "CAKE DORK" sign!!! I have a cake folder with several other subfolders inside and on and on...I am on my way to making my DH nuts and my sister is a backseat cake dork, she will never admit it, but slowly I am bringing her to the dark side!!

My last cake I get to make is for my baby shower at the end of the month. icon_cry.gif Then I am being forced into my "cakin maternity leave"!!! Doesn't change the fact that I will be sitting here looking online on Cake Central or looking at my sons toys or niece's shirt and thinking hmm...that would make a cute cake!

We need to make a button! Proud to be a Cake Dork!!!!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 49

~~Hands waving over here~~~~

I too confess.. I must be a cake dork!
The whole Christmas season I did'nt go into the mall once, Yesterday my husband says lets go look around. Well we end up in a video game store and low and behold I spyed, across the room, a wii game that is a Cake game! I didn't even know they made such games. Well you know I had to buy it and didn't even have the wii system yet. Before we left the store a used system came in and we end up purchasing it. LOL with the game. Yyou can guess what I did today.
I always see things that inspire me for cake designs too .!
My family just rolls their eyes at me all the time. icon_biggrin.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #24 of 49

We just finished off the last piece of cake from the new years eve cake last night while playing cards. I got up this morning and immediately had the urge to bake, I've been trying to put the urge off all day. It's kinda like a smoker who is trying to quit, or an alchoholic trying to quit drinking, you know your trying so hard not to but the urge is just so overwhelming. Oh Lord help me I'm a cake-a-holic. I give, I gotta go make a cake...............

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #25 of 49

Hi everyone I am a Cake Dork!! I think about cake ALL the TIME!! I have even gotten to the point that I carry a little notebook in my purse so that when an idea comes to mind I can do a quick sketch and jot some things that I need to keep an eye out for so that my masterpiece my become a reality. Is this tooo Much????? I have books, pictures sketches all over my kitchen. I drive my family nuts!!! I live and breath Buttercream, fondant, chocolate clay, and gumpaste!! I love IT!!!!! I love it all!!! Thank Goodness for CC!!!!!!!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #26 of 49

yes, I to am a cake Dork and say it with pride. I don't think I have any clothes left in my closet that doesnt have icing or food coloring stains.
When i would come home from work with brain storming ideas head straight to the kitchen. So long nice clothes. I love decorating if a day goes by that my oven isn't on I laugh and say it's going through a withdrawl. party.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #27 of 49

I'm not only a cake dork, I play one on tv! icon_lol.gif It's gotten to the point that I'm turning my children into cake dorks as well, they bring me things (or point out designs when we're driving) and say, 'Mommy, look, cake design!'
I'm also glad I'm not the only one who goes back and looks at their projects again and again. icon_lol.gif

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #28 of 49

O.K. . . how dorky am I?

I ACTUALLY HAVE CAKE DREAMS!! More so than intimate ones -- how sad is that?

Am I alone here?? (I can almost hear the crickets chirping as you, the readers look at my post with "dear in the headlights" expressions . . .) icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Oh please, tell me I'm not the only one!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

yes, I to am a cake Dork and say it with pride. I don't think I have any clothes left in my closet that doesnt have icing or food coloring stains.
When i would come home from work with brain storming ideas head straight to the kitchen. So long nice clothes. I love decorating if a day goes by that my oven isn't on I laugh and say it's going through a withdrawl. party.gif

I know!! All of my shirts have grease stains from buttercream, and you should SEE my table top - red, green, and pink food coloring stains - ugh!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #30 of 49

I'm a total cake dork and consider that a compliment!! thumbs_up.gif

My first wedding cake was for my mother-in-law who wasn't that crazy about me in the first place. No freakin' pressure there, right?? When it turned out perfect, you couldn't scrape me off the ceiling. And you're darn right I was happy to go over and cut it for her... let EVERYONE know who made that bad boy!! Whoop, whoop!!!

I'm a little more reserved nowadays, but when I make a cake that is especially good, I still get those little butterflies in my tummy that make me want to dance!

Oh, and not only do I have more cake dreams than 'intimate' ones... my intimate ones are starting to include more culinary people, and less Hollywood hotties. What kind of sick game is that?? Hahahahaha! (Seriously... Alton Brown? Really...?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%