Cake Ideas For Bridal Show

Decorating By morgnscakes Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 5:45am by sayhellojana

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 23

I have 3 bridal shows coming up in about a month and I am at odds on what type of cakes I should display and what samples I should give out. Do I go with more traditional style or something that is unique and different? I don't want brides to say...oh that's too traditional, I want something a little more different or "she's too over the top for me, I like something a little more traditional". I do all types of designs and let people know that, but I want to draw in more business for myself so I need help!

Also, what cake flavors should I use as samples. Most everyone gives out traditional white or vanilla, but I was thinking something a little different like red velvet or a lemon cake. What do you all think???

22 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 23

Do you have room for two show cakes - one of each?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 23

I think it would be best to stick with basic flavors--everyone will know that if you do vanilla or chocolate well, you'll be able to do any flavor well!

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 23

I think a different stand out flavor will be long remembered after the show. If everyone does Chocolate and Vanilla what makes you special? If you want to showcase a nice vanilla cake you make, what about doing a lemon buttercream with it?

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 23

Who's your client? Does she want a traditional cake or a modern cake? In other words, what is it that you do?

Display what you're selling.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 23

I've only done one bridal show but I'll share my tips that i learned icon_wink.gif

I did mini cupcakes in three different flavors (all with vanilla frosting) Chocolate, Vanilla, Lemon. That was very popular and that way people can try one of each. They were easy to make ( i used on of the tiny ice cream scoops with the ejectors) and i just put a little three tier stand on the table and kept replenishing it as the day went on.

for display cakes, I went simple, and i wish i would have had dome one "modern" cake to complete the look. This year i am doing a large cupcake stand to show the cupcake wedding side ( and to double as samples) a grooms cake to be given away at the end, a small bridal shower dummy, and about 4-5 displays, all varying in styles for Brides to get an idea of all that i can do.

Also, a portfolio book can really help. That way if you only have a couple displays, you have plenty of pictures to show you can do all sorts of designs, not just what you have displayed.

Good luck! and have fun icon_smile.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 23

There have been other threads on this subject, so be sure to check them out!

How much space will you have? As mentioned before, most decorators go with several dummies decorated in a variety of styles. Be sure to have one prominant, over-the-top, eye-catching one! That's the one that will draw the brides to your booth.

Definately take a cake photo album!

Definately have ALL signage computer printed! No hand-written!

Samples are often best if done in those small condiment cups with a lid- and a printed label! That way if the bride takes a sample home for FI, she is able to remember which baker it came from.

Sample flavors- I like to do a traditional flavor and a gourmet flavor.

Have fun, and remember to wear something professional-looking...and wear comfortable shoes!! thumbs_up.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 23

i did two show back to back and i realized that brides now a days are looking for a moe custom and unique cake... but then you have tohe bride that wants a white on white traditional monster cake...

so here is my advice..
make one traditional cake, one over the top cake... and then make cakes that you love,.. i had mostly wedding cakes, but then i had fifteens cakes, cakes that could be used for either or... an then cakes that were kinda birthday partyish... (and make sure that you have a portoflio, and if you can have two...)

i quickly realizd that if i had sepeprated the pics into two folders it would have been better

my sign was a handpainted so that was the only thing that was not computer printed

make sure that you have enough brochures and business cards.. wear something nice and colorful .. make sure you smile... and have fun

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 23

I put a dummy cake and nicely framed photo's of other cakes. The books are great, but once someone is looking at it, what do the other people do? So I have one cake I had printed on canvas that is pretty large and sits in the back on an easel, and then other cakes progress up. It's a really nice and clean setup, but shows I'm capable of very traditional to very not traditional.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 23

My pics were on a powerpoint presentation on my laptop that was constantly running. That way, multiple people can look at the cakes while they were waiting to talk to me.

Turn the tables so you have an open booth ... dont' lock yourself behind a table. I want to be free to walk up and talk to the folks and I want them to be able to come into the booth to view the cakes.

Definitely have a "Wow Factor" cake ... the one that, when they round the corner and see your booth, will make them gasp and say, "WOW!" Mine was a 6-tier, with pillars that towered over the top of the curtain divider walls. This one was also the traditional white cake. Then I had the other cakes on display.

DOn't worry about "that's too traditional" and "she's over the top for me" comments. You're going to have more than one bride there, so you want more than one style, to show your diversity and variety of skills.

I display what I sell ... but what I sell is whatever the bride wants! thumbs_up.gif

Pics of my bridal show set-up can be seen on my Flickr site (link below).

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 23

I am also getting ready for a bridal show here in a couple of weeks - for the last few years I have done about 10-15 cakes for my display ranging from traditional to modern to just plain funky. I also do one "CENTERPIECE" cake that I stand up taller and center in my diplay last year it was this real funky hot pink/black/feathers and boa cake, it really drew the people in. I thought about having my album up there but then also had concerns about people just standing there waiting to look at it so what I did last year was I got one of those digital frames and just had cakes flashing on the screen so anyone standing there could see it. I also did the mini cupcakes for samples but learned from my first bridal show to only do one flavor, while I would love to have a variety, if I did then everyone wants one of every flavor and the bridal show that I do has anywhere from 400-600 people a day (2day event) come thru and I just can not handle that many samples between refilling and also trying to talk to the brides. Good luck to you, post pictures when you get them done, I know I will be so that I can get all the wonderful advice from you guys icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #12 of 23

I would be torn as to the flavors to offer...agreeing with a pp that offering basic flavors just to prove...."yeah, I can bake a cake well" and offer a list of other flavors and possibly a sign-up sheet to book a future tasting(maybe even have several dates pre-determined with time slots...like at the dr.'s office....

(If you charge for tastings) $50.00 (or whatever your fee is)

This amount covers up to 3 flavor combinations (or whatever)

A reminder will be sent using your contact information

March 15, 2009 time slot flavor(s) of interest how many in tasting party contact info

March 22, 2009 time slot flavor(s) of interest how many in tasting party contact info

or offer several different flavor combinations killing myself with work and still not be able to please everyone.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 23

Red Velvet is so popular these days, I think that is the right choice. I went to a show where someone was sampling that, and people were lining up for a taste. No one waits around to long for the traditional ones, good luck!

aligotmatt Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #14 of 23

Red Velvet is different and traditional at the same time though. Just like Lemon cake. I think going in different but not bizarre is good...

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #15 of 23

I think that I am going to do my snickerdoodle cake. I have had SOOOOOOOOO many people ordering that this last year I thought it would do well and still different also

aligotmatt Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I think that I am going to do my snickerdoodle cake. I have had SOOOOOOOOO many people ordering that this last year I thought it would do well and still different also

To which you bring up a very good point. I live at the beach and probably 50% of my brides are 'destination weddings' so I make more coconut with pineapple filling than probably most of you. Always good to serve your area and not the whole country.

morgnscakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:16am
post #17 of 23

Thank you to all of you. You have all given me so much to think about and many ideas to toy with. I think I'm going to go for red velvet with cream cheese icing and white chocolate cake with lemon buttercream for samples. Some of you I think are correct...they will always remember the unique flavors. And I love the idea of using the condiment cups with a label. I will make sure and post pics of the setup and cakes. Keep the ideas coming!!!! and thank you my cc family!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 23

ive only done one show, last year, but will be doing it again in a couple of months. but i decorated my square cake so each side was differant and had it turning on a slow turntable, the kind used to showcase model cars or jewelry. plus i also put one of my themed round cakes on a turntable so it could be seen from all sides.

morgnscakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #19 of 23

Thank you to all of you who gave me some very wonderful ideas! The bridal show is officially over and we decided to go with red velvet with cream cheese buttercream and french vanilla with amaretto buttercream for the samples. They were both a hit! Here are the three display cakes we went with. Thanks again everyone!!!
LL

morgnscakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #20 of 23

here's pic #2
LL

morgnscakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #21 of 23

here's #3. Sorry these are coming out so fuzzy. They might come out better in the photo gallery
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #22 of 23

Those are gorgeous! I love "Mahogany"!

I'm glad it turned out great for you!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:45am
post #23 of 23

The mardigra themed cake is amazing. I LOVE the stacking and colors and the pattern at the bottom. Really, really cool cakes. I bet you get lots of bookings from brides that want amazing cakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%