Please Help! Need Help Pricing Sculpted Cake

Decorating By morgnscakes Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm by -K8memphis

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride that wants a cake that is tapered at the bottom. I know how to taper the cakes, but my question is..."how do I charge for it?" I usually charge per serving. If it was a regular 3 tiered round cake, it would serve 170 something with the top tier, but of course the servings will be decreased since I have to taper the cakes. do i charge per amount of servings as though it is not being tapered or just for the amount of servings that the bride will be receiving? Or do I charge more because it does have to be sculpted into a taper? I am so confused!!!! Below is a picture of how she wants it tapered.

Also, how do you figure out the servings for a sculpted cake? I've been doing birthday cakes and traditional style wedding cakes for a few years, but have recently been able to step up my game and start diving into more.

Any help would be appreciated.
LL

6 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 7

I believe you should charge more than your normal price for serving. You have to bake the same amount of cake so I would think you can price it one of 2 ways: 1) the price per serving for the amount that you have to bake or 2) raise the price per serving since it has to be carved.

Maybe someone with more experience with these types can give you more help.

morgnscakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 7

thanks, tracycakes. I would have liked to have many opinions and suggestions on this topic, but you seem to be the only one with the courage to respond.

My husband was saying to me that I should charge for the original amount of servings, but your suggestion of raising the price per serving is something I never thought about. I might try it that way instead...make it more understandable for the client when they see it on paper.

Thanks again!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 7

It's your choice to do it either way by the original cake servings baked or by the ones she orders.

I start my 3-d sculpted cakes at $6 a serving.

I charge for servings and degree of difficulty not for the servings of cake they don't get.

That's how I do it.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalms1

thanks, tracycakes. I would have liked to have many opinions and suggestions on this topic, but you seem to be the only one with the courage to respond.

Y'know lots of times, my computer goes down or this site goes down and I and we don't see the posts again when we log back on unless we're going forum by forum.

Sorry you had to wait.

morgnscakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 7

sorry if I offended anybody regarding my previous statement on tracycakes being the only one with the courage to respond. I did not mean to. Thank you to all who looked and posted!!! and thanks k8memphis for your insight. Sometimes I can get a little impatient when I need some direction. God Bless everyone.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

No worries. You wanna learn about pricing?

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613617.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%