Sale, Need To Purchase Supplies

Decorating By majormichel Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm by hallow3

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 20

I see GSA is having a sale, this is the perfect time to purchase all the necessary things I need for cake Decorating. I expanding in decorating alot more with fondant and making flowers. What stuff should I purchase, all I have is the basic Wilton decorating kit and there new Gumpaste tool kit.

I was thinking,
Diamond impress mat
bench scraper
bead mold
rose cutter
cell pad

What else should I purchase? This is going to be a big order my late christmas present to myself? icon_lol.gif

19 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:20am
post #2 of 20

luster dust! maybe some gel colors

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 20

How about some Satin Ice?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 20

Odd sized pans round and square from 3" to 15".

At least eventually but not too far off. The odd sizes make your life easier with getting all the right and cool and fun proportion not to mention closer to the correct amount of servings for any specific cakes sizes that come up.

majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 20

ok CC'ers I want to stock up now and would like to purchase things I need and not want (wishlist - dont really need at this time ). So I want to get this right. Please help, anyone else to respond?

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 20

I would say get some satin ice, nice to have on hand, colors, luster dust and spare tips. ( hate needing the same tip for a different color so have extras)

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 20

Diffrent styles and sizes of decorating tips (maybe) When it comes to tips I love Wilton the best,

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 20

How about cake boxes? icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

I see is having a sale, this is the perfect time to purchase all the necessary things I need for cake Decorating. I expanding in decorating alot more with fondant and making flowers. What stuff should I purchase, all I have is the basic Wilton decorating kit and there new Gumpaste tool kit.

I was thinking,
Diamond impress mat
bench scraper
bead mold
rose cutter
cell pad

What else should I purchase? This is going to be a big order my late christmas present to myself? icon_lol.gif

Since you are expanding in fondant and gumpaste skills I would recommend purchasing all of the PME and FMM cutters, plungers, letter tappits, etc. Since you are going to be making flowers you will also benefit greatly from the Silicone Flower and Leaf cutters and veiners.
Impression mats would probably be good for you at this point as well.
Have fun! icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 20

It says that the sale excludes Satin Ice products

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 20

i recommend the ateco rolling mat. that thing is AWESOME i could never do fondant wedding cakes without it. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20785

Teekakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottedmeatchunks

i recommend the ateco rolling mat. that thing is AWESOME i could never do fondant wedding cakes without it. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20785

Do you use this mat to actually put the fondant on the cake and then peel this mat off of the fondant? Is this mat thin enough to do that with?
I have looked at this mat online many times and wondered if it would be worth the purchase. TIA

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 20

have you got a cel board liks these? makes life much easier for wiring flowers and leaves!
http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?cid=15
xx

majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

I learn from Earlene, to use vinyl clear table cloth instead to roll the fondant out. But then again, the impressive mat have the various measurements marked on it.

Teekakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

I learn from Earlene, to use vinyl clear table cloth instead to roll the fondant out. But then again, the impressive mat have the various measurements marked on it.

I too use the vinyl and it works great, thus the reason I have not purchased this mat. The measuring marks on it are enticing for certain things. If it was thin enough I would consider it a bit further.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #16 of 20

I have 2 of the blue ateco mats and use them all the time. Mine dont have measurements, that would be nice. I did vinyl for a long time, it's a cheaper option, but I think the mat is better.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 20

I say pans pans pans! Having a variety of pans is the best start. Also a good turntable if you don't have one. I just bought vinyl at Hobby Lobby, it's much cheaper.

I would get some small flower cutters and the PME rose cutters in different sizes. Also a good ribbon cutter, clay gun, and a pearl mold.

It's sooooo hard to choose! I love Global Sugar Art....so much fun

Stephanie

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #18 of 20

yes the one i linked has measurements and i definitely use the mat to just flop the fondant right on the cake and peel off the mat on top. its way better than any other mat i use because the friction between it and the table is ridiculous. i can throw the biggest wad of fondant to cover a 14in round and roll it out to size no problem. my old wilton mat wasn't even big enough for certain jobs.

it's very "sticky" with friction so between jobs I use a lint roller on it to pick up scraps and dust. did i mention its wrinkle-proof? i just love this mat!

Teekakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #19 of 20
Quote:

yes the one i linked has measurements and i definitely use the mat to just flop the fondant right on the cake and peel off the mat on top. its way better than any other mat i use because the friction between it and the table is ridiculous. i can throw the biggest wad of fondant to cover a 14in round and roll it out to size no problem. my old wilton mat wasn't even big enough for certain jobs.

it's very "sticky" with friction so between jobs I use a lint roller on it to pick up scraps and dust. did i mention its wrinkle-proof? i just love this mat!

Ok, that did it! Knowing it is thin AND wrinkle-proof just sold me one!!
Thank you very much for the info thumbs_up.gif

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #20 of 20

Just a thought and maybe a tip. For the clear mats that are easy to work with, I lay down my wilton fondant mat underneath the clear mat to get my measuremets and then slide it out when I am done with making my measurements needed. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%