Gumpaste Shoe Help

Decorating By Bonnell Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm by Bonnell

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 8

How would I make a gumpaste shoe look shiny like patent leather? Need to know pretty quickly - making it today for DD's birthday.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 8

confectioners glaze i wht i use for gumpaste flowers! you can buy sprays as well that are the same idea. if ur stuck at home, pass it quickly through some steam, maybe a couple of times but dont let it get wet! it wont get shiney like your wanting, but it will get a sheen.
xx

Bonnell Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 8

I saw the confectioners glaze mentioned in another forum. Is that just PS and water?
Thanks!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 8

ps and water makes glace icing for toppings, im not sure what goes into confctioners glaze, but it looks very different, and i think is only used to shine things up (and on flowers, it also seals the colour- its all ive learnt about it so far!). i guess it can be made at home somehow, but you get it in bottles at cake decorating shops.
xx

Bonnell Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!

lalalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalalady Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Confectioners glaze is a shelac kind of lacquer that is derived from beetles so unfortunately cannot be made at home. It is not edible and used only for glaze on inedible models or flowers

Sue

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

try making a glaze out of gum arabic, you will have to experiment with the portions, don't remember if it was two parts water and one gum arabic, or maybe one of each. I used it many years ago, on black gum paste roses and it worked great. I think I brushed it on the roses. Start out with one tsp water and 1/2 tsp gum arabic, and see what you get. If that works than you can make more.

Bonnell Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%