Buttercream Stripes?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm by mama5kiddos

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making a similar version of the cake pictured below...and need some help! The request is to make it with all buttercream (and no stars) which is why this is difficult for me. Is it possible to make these stripes without using fondant?

Another question I had, is how would I add a logo onto the cap? How about doing a fbct and maybe adding it onto the brim so it is flat? Or is it better to print it out and just "stick" it on the cap (maybe with wax paper underneath?). These are the only ideas I can come up with and would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baseball-hat-birthday-cake-2007-10-07.htm

3 replies
cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 4

I made buttercream stripes for my daughter's birthday cake using tip 1D. I would absolutely use the fbct for the logo, too. Can't wait to see your cake! thumbs_up.gif

CakeTopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTopper Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 4

I wonder if you could make the stripes using rolled buttercream?? I've never worked with it before but I think you could roll it out and cut it in strips. The only other suggestion I have is to get yourself a large petal tip and apply the stripes using that.

Regarding the logo, could you do a chocolate transfer? That might be a bit easier to work with than an fbct and you could apply it to the hat itself. However, if it is a large logo, the chocolate transfer might look a little clunky.

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies!

I dont believe I have the 1D tip, I'll check it out...thanks!!!

Hmm...I havent worked with a chocolate transfer before, how hard are they? I have learned almost everything else from you gals here at CC. The logo I am going to need is the Seattle Mariners logo, so it has alot of detail. I did find a Mariners baseball cap pic in the galleries, and it was a different (easier) logo with a big "S" in the background, so I am going to try that one...could probably pipe it on.

I was mostly worried if the FBCT would "melt" downwards if it is sitting on the cap vertically (where a logo SHOULD be), unless I just do a super thin version.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%