Help With A Gumpaste Lid

Decorating By cakeandpartygirl Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm by CakeMommyTX

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 11:01am
post #1 of 2

I experimented in making a lid out of gumpaste using a cake pan as a mold. I sprayed a little of nonstick cooking oil to keep it from getting stuck, then I covered the outside of the pan with the gumpaste to just above the lip of the pan.Stupid me, icon_redface.gif in my moment of ingenuity I didn't think about how it was going to come off. So of course I tried to get it off and I couldn't without it breaking. icon_cry.gif So my question is what did I do wrong? Was it a stupid idea to use the cake pan? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a lid? icon_confused.gif Thanks for your help

1 reply
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 2

I've done the same exact thing so don't feel stupid.
What I have found works is plastic wrap, I wrapped my cake pan in it, pulled it tight to get rid of any wrinkles and taped it to the inside of the pan.
Then I put the gumpaste on it and let it dry, when it's dry enough to take off I un-taped the plasic wrap and used that to lift off the lid, then I peeled the wrap off of the lid.
It still needed to dry because the inside had'nt been exposed to air was still a little damp but it worked.
HTH. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%