Yet Another Fondant Wuestion-Sorry Guys!!!

Decorating By Niquie Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm by Niquie

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 10

Hi All,
I figured since everyone seems to be asking questions about fondant right now, I would go ahead and ask my questions as well. Ok, so first I am soooooo wanting to try the Michele Foster's Fondant, but of course I forget to get gelatin from the store, so back to the old basic MMF recipe that I have (for the New Year's Cake for my son and husband). I wanted to know though, how many days in advance can I make the Michele Foster's Fondant decorations for a cake I am making on the 10th. I really want this cake to be nice because it is a gift from me to a young single woman who is having her first child, and she is getting help from a lady on the base where I live. I am currently pregnant with my own child, so I don't have much to give, so I figured I could at least give her a gorgeous baby shower cake. And thanks to the kindness that Tita9499 and Jammjenks have shown, I felt it was the least I could do, since I couldn't do much else and I wanted to "pay it forward" in some way. So, how far in advance could I make flowers, a onsie and booties for the cake (cake for the 10th) using Michele Foster's Fondant? Any help on this matter would be great. Thanks so much in advance, and sorry for adding to the list of fondant questions for the day!!!

Ashley

9 replies
Niquie Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 10

Anyone????

Niquie Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 10

Sorry, Just noticed the topic isn't spelled right. The subject is "Yet Another Fondant Question (not wuestion, LOL).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #4 of 10

I've never used that particular fondant but I would not hesitate to make fondant decor now for a cake a coupla weeks away.

Happy Cakin'

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 10

Making the decorations now would be fine!! As long as they are not in the Sun or direct light, they won't lose any color. Go for it!! Good luck and what a nice gesture. I pay it forward with cake all the time these days for family and a few friends. They seem to appreciate it so much and good Cake Karma is always awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #6 of 10

I have made her recipe twice now and had no issues making the decorations ahead of time. If I could post my pictures I would show you the cake I just did for my daughters first birthday but for some reason I can not post pictures.....good luck! oh, when you make it for the first time, dont add to much PS when you are using your mixer, I did the first time, the second time I rolled it out long before and just worked more into it until it was right. It is amaing to work with fresh!!

Niquie Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys. That really helped. One more thing though, how would I go about storing my decorations if I make them this early? Do I wrap in in plastic wrap or put them in containers with lids or what? Do I refridgerate them??? I've heard (well seen, posts) that say don't refridgerate fondant or it will have a wet look or something after taking it out. I'm not sure because I've only made MMF once, and I didn't refridgerate it because I used it right then. Do these questions make sense? Thanks so much everyone.

Ashley

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 10

Well, I haven't ever made MFF (dying to attempt it soon!!), but I would say that if you decide to make the decorations early, store them in a tupperware container. I use the disposable ziplock containers to store people, characters and flowers often. They work great!

HTH -
Mandi

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie

Do I refridgerate them??? I've heard (well seen, posts) that say don't refridgerate fondant or it will have a wet look or something after taking it out.Ashley

That is relative to the humidity levels in your fridge and in your home and in the atmosphere wherever you are. Generally, when you take fondant out of the fridge, it gets dewey. Leave it be for awhile, don't try to "mop" it up, and it will in short time, evaporate or absorb back into the fondant and get the matte finish back. That's my experience anyways. Summer time is hot hot hot and humid here, and no amount of air conditioning in the world allows for leaving cakes out at room temp, so in the fridge they go, fondant and all. No problems!

Niquie Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much. I was worried about the fridge thing. I am going to try that because I live on an island, and lets just say that weather is not a friend to cakes here either Jamie!!! I have to refridgerate mine also. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%