~Gumpaste Flower Tools Help~

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm by weirkd

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 25

Hello:

I have a question, I need to learn how to make gumpaste flowers, by myself, I can't afford to take classes right now, I have an old instructional VHS and also from videos from tonedna1 and others on youtube.

My problem is that I used to spend a lot of money on cake stuff and I have a garage full of stuff I dont need, I don't want to make the same mistake again and go buy a lot stuff I Won't be needing. So, if you guys could help me with this problem.

1.- Should I buy the wilton set of tools?
2.- Is there another set or package that would be cheaper than separate tools?
3.- If I have to buy separate tools, which ones?
4.- Do you know of a DVD that is really complete so I dont have to buy a bunch of them?

Thank you.
Patty*

24 replies
rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #2 of 25

I can sympathize with you on the cost...I am a hobby decorator and my dh is constantly on my case when the Mastercard bill arrives in the mail.
I have found that using the Michael's 40 and 50% off coupons help alot as do the Hobby Lobby coupons. I wait until I have a coupon and buy what I have my eye on. I am taking the Wilton 3 class soon, but I wanted to play with gumpaste before hand so I got the Wilton gumpaste kit to start with. The plastic cutters are not as good as the metal ones but for a beginner, I thought it was a good value. The book was helpful and with that and the tutorials I have found on line, you won't need a class! I think with my 50% off coupon, I paid like $11 for it. Here is the kit on the Wilton site so you can see all the pieces that you get. You will have to either make or buy the gumpaste. I purchased the Wilton package, again with a half off coupon and it was about $5.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D6EB-475A-BAC0-5E5EF66C57041711

HTH

dennise

laura1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura1029 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #3 of 25

I would suggest buying the Wilton set to start with. As the previous poster mentioned the plastic cutters aren't as good as metal ones, but to start with they're decent enough (and there's a variety included in the set). Plus the set comes with a book of instructions.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 25

This video is amazing and Edna has more on youtube for different flowers.

I hope this can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7jczwKVAk&feature=related

P.S. I bought the flowers set from wilton and it is really good to start, it has all the cutters and the rolling pin and other tools, if you look on the newspaper on Sunday you will find the 50% off coupon. thumbs_up.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 25

If you are sure you want to give this a go, invest in the right tools

A good metal ball tool
A board to roll the paste on (any hard surface will do for now)
A firm foam pad that is used for thinning petals. (a garden kneeling pad u can find at the $ store)
A good set of metal cutters designed for the flower you want to make
Some floral wire
gumpaste and gum glue
a couple of dust colors.

Then practice that one flower until you master it, then look to the next and so on. The $10 or so that one set of cutters will cost you will be spread out and the expense won't seem that much, and in the end you will spend less then when you find you have to replace all those plastic cutters that really didn't cut it in the first place.

Also, if you can take a basic class to get a feel for the paste it will be well worth it. if there are no classes that you can attend then study the net there is a wealth of knowledge here that you don't have to pay for.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 25

there are plastic cutters by all name brands... there are metal cutters.. you just have to know how to use them... i have all kinds of each... the fmm all in one rose cutters are plastic.. they are great. nicholas lodge uses plastic and metal cutters when he teaches.. some metal cutters can be heck to use also.. so just press down hard whatever cutter you use.. twist it a little bit. and you got a nicely cut petal or leaf or whatever. jem cutters has plastic cutters.. jem supplies are top of the line products, etc. and good priced... the wilton cutters are used by so many.. i teach gumpaste flowers at michaels.. we use the wilton cutters , etc. i don,t teach by the book per say... i bring it all up to date... using the mexican hat method on so many of the flowers. the students really enjoy that class.. because i do bring everything up to date.. i have taken classes for 13 years anywhere i can get to them... i love it. hth like i said ... it is all in knowing how to use any of them.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 25

I've got the Wilton flower set and the set of ten tools, and I also always use the 50% coupons! Out of the 10 tools so far in 3 months (and I have spent alot of time on gum paste, my house is falling apart) the only ones I have really used is the palette knife and the ball tool. The cutter doesn't work well for me because I am using a plastic place mat on top of glass for smoothness. I am now finding that the plasic tools aren't as good, the better I get. All it takes is practice and watching those youtube videos over and over. I don't have anywhere close to take classes from except Michaels and I don't think I would ever bother with that. I am waiting for the day the Nicholas Lodge is coming to Alberta then some way I'll get there!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 25

I'm self taught too. As you can see from my avitar, I think I got the hang of it. To be quite honest, the only tools you really need are a good metal ball tool, small paint brush and a scalpel (or similar tool). Maybe some tiny sewing sissors. Probably half of what I cut out comes from cookie cutters, icing tips, or free hand. The Wilton set with book isn't bad, but I found I only use the ball tool and maybe 3 cutters. However, with a 40% off coupon, it should only cost you a little over $11.00 so it's not a bad investment. I've attached picture of some of my flowers. For the roses I used a cookie cutter, for the lilic I just used the little sissors, for the hydrangeas I just the sissors, and the berries were done free hand (as were some of the leaves. Mostly I just look at pictures of what I want to make and go for it. (Taking apart real flowers helps too.). Good luck.
LL

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 25

I'm not sure where you live but I've found a lot of gumpast flower books at my librariy. I found a great old scott clark woolley book and that's a LOT cheaper than his videos. also some of nick lodge's early books

good luck

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 25

I just started doing gum paste this year and tried the plastic tools first becuase I got a set for $2.00. Was very frustrated at first, then took a class from Jennifer Dontz. 2 things made the biggest difference, metal tools and a good gumpaste recipe (Nicholas Lodge's is my favorite). Once I did those 2 things, everything has been easy ever sense! Ball tool is the most important and the cell board for making the wire channels was also great.

gerripje Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 25

Fairytale those are beautiful! I've been trying to make my own cutters out of different stuff just by looking at the real cutters online like the hibiscus and frangipani. Since I'm in Canada and everything that I've found anyway is in the U.S., the shipping is alot. My library is small and even the bigger one in the region doesn't have anything good at all!

gerripje Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 25

I guess I should have mentioned I'm in Taber, about 2 hours south of Calgary and I can't even find a store to go to there either!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 25

a good ball tool is essential. I do have Wilton's also but they have a mold line mark on them and to me this is not good! It tears delicate flowers to pieces. I have a PME bone tool, ball tool, dresden tool, a JEM Silk Veining tool, and other tools that I have picked up on the way.

Can't live with out a ball tool though. It is a MUST have. A good foam pad is good - I use the little red one and I think that is FMM. I also have the veining board but that is not essential.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 25

What is Mexican hat method? Just curious...sometimes names are different in different regions! I've also herd the term Mexican Hat board! Now living only 7 miles from Mexican border....I'm just wondering!!!

gerripje Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 25

The line in the plastic ball tool of Wilton's has caused me greif and now I will be trying to find a metal ball tool. The little palette knives I certainly couldn't do without.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 25

Bizqueen, the "mexican hat method" is basically where you roll a small ball of paste in your hand and make one end narrow (kinda like a fat q-tip). Then you flatten the qtip end and it resembles a sombraro or "mexican hat". You can do several flowers this way just by cutting with small scissors to the center (like a hydrangea you would make four cuts). Then you thread it threw a wire and use a veiner and Voila!
I started my gumpaste flower making with the Wilton set. It was ok but quickly I figured out that you cant do much with it.
I suggest getting a metal ball tool and a celboard, and also a foam board or even one of those foam thingys that you use for putting your knees on in a garden would work! A good recipe is the Nick Lodge recipe but it does dry quickly so some flowers it makes it hard to work with. But for a newbie it will great to play with because its cheap.
And U-Tube has many videos that you can see how to make different flowers. A rose is really a good flower to try and also a hydrangea is pretty simple to make. If your opting for realism its good to study up on your botany and search the web for pictures of what the flowers are suppose to look like. I see too many people that try to make flowers and have every single one look identical. Well thats not how nature is and its better if they dont look identical! Also use dusting powders to give your flowers a realistic look. You can mix with clear extracts and brush some with just the dust to get the effect.
But most people that do well at this practice. Just try to start off slow and dont be too hard on yourself! And it really does help to see the real thing! And have fun! I love making flowers because its really a stress reliefer for me! I really get lost into it and tune out the world and it does amazing things for me! Good luck!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #17 of 25

I have the Wilton set of gumpaste cutters, I am just a beginner and they work just fine for me. I also have the ten peice tool set. I love everything in it except I have to agree with a previous poster the ball tool is very frustrating! That little line is...ARRGH!!! I did not notice it at first but as I progress in skill it is making me nuts! So, to start out with it is great but plan on getting a metal ball tool.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:17am
post #18 of 25

Thank you guys soooo much!
I will get me the set plus a metal ball tool. I already have 2 electric pasta machines so i guess that will be easier.
I saw the Scott DVD's maaaaan! they are expensive! I better start saving for them, they look nice, I wish N Lodge would make sonething like that instead of little ones of 2 flowers per video.
I will be back with pictures, thanx

Patty*

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:41pm
post #19 of 25

Does anyone have a link to the Nic Lodge recipe? I searched the recipes and couldn't find anything...thanks! icon_lol.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Does anyone have a link to the Nic Lodge recipe? I searched the recipes and couldn't find anything...thanks! icon_lol.gif

http://designmeacake.com/id27.html

maryj Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

I'm self taught too. As you can see from my avitar, I think I got the hang of it. To be quite honest, the only tools you really need are a good metal ball tool, small paint brush and a scalpel (or similar tool). Maybe some tiny sewing sissors. Probably half of what I cut out comes from cookie cutters, icing tips, or free hand. The Wilton set with book isn't bad, but I found I only use the ball tool and maybe 3 cutters. However, with a 40% off coupon, it should only cost you a little over $11.00 so it's not a bad investment. I've attached picture of some of my flowers. For the roses I used a cookie cutter, for the lilic I just used the little sissors, for the hydrangeas I just the sissors, and the berries were done free hand (as were some of the leaves. Mostly I just look at pictures of what I want to make and go for it. (Taking apart real flowers helps too.). Good luck.

The flowers are beautiful, here's my question. We color the gumpaste with? and #2 what is used to do the highlights and lowlights, is it just powdered food coloring brushed on, mixed with something? I read through Toba Garrets whole section on gumpaste flowers and nowhere did I see how to color the gumpaste or how to paint on the colors or with what. Thanks in advance. I'm an avid flower gardener and I am so excited to give gumpaste flowers a try.

maryj Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:23pm
post #22 of 25

One last question, where to buy Tylose online.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #23 of 25

Global Sugar Art has tylose. You can color the GP with gel colors.. if you are going for a deep color you may have to add more tylose as the gel with make the SP soft and sticky. You can use powdered colors too and I often use a combo when going for red or black. The high and low lights are made with petal dusts or powdered food color would work too, but the color selection isn't as wide. icon_smile.gif

I have never taken a class on flower making and I don't do too bad if I do say so myself. icon_wink.gif Just don't be afraid to mess up.. it's all part of the learnin' process.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #24 of 25

Nic Lodge also carries Tylose and many, many tools.
JenniferMI also ..... I'm sure many others.

Messing up is no problem when you are learning. Just all it up and start over OR keep some of them to earn from. So what if you use up a bit of gpicon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #25 of 25

I also like to make my flowers using plain paste and then I color mine afterwards. Especially when it comes to red. With the amount you have to add to the mix to make it red instead of pink, it really ruins the texture of the paste. I like using Chef Lori's method of watercolors (high amounts of extract to the ratio of powdered color). It makes the petals translucent which gives it a more realistic effect. With a red rose, lets say, I will airbrush it red and then later go back with my other dust colors to give it more depth.
Ive yet to find a dvd that has many flowers on it except the one's that Scott sells. I cant afford his dvds so most of the time I figure out how to make the flowers myself. I did that with my roses and stephanotis and I get tons of compliments on how real they look. Some of the trickier flowers like orchids, petunia's and lillies, I suggest either finding a good book or taking a class on. The funny thing is that Ive taken three classes in my lifetime of cakedecorating and I can say that the first one I didnt really think it was worth my time, the second was with Chef Lori of Wildflowers and even though it was just a hydrangea class I learned a lot from her. The third was with Jen Dontz which was a two day class that taught I believe it was six flowers total. You really get bang for your buck with her class! But it goes rather quickly so I would take her class once you master some basic techniques first. Then once you have, I really suggest taking her class! Not only will you have a ball but you will learn several techniques!
And books, I have to say I love my Alan Dunn books. Step by step techniques along with patterns in the back of the book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%