Help Making A Chocolate Wheel/disk For Girolle/girouette?

Sugar Work By Jopalis Updated 13 May 2009 , 9:03pm by Jeannem

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 14

Hi. I recently got a chocolate ruffler by Swissmar called a Girouette. It is similar to la Girolle in that it cuts chocolate or cheese ruffles. It came with a mold. I know some folks have tried to make these rolls rather than purchase them to try and save $. Has anyone here successfully made these disks and had them perform well with creating the ruffles? Do you add oil or Paramount crystals? Any help is appreciated. I just love the look but can't warrant the cost as I do not sell cakes. Thanks, Pat

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 14

didn't it come w/ instructions for the mold??

Jopalis Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 14

The directions just said to add some shortening if you use dark chocolate. I read some threads where folks said they didn't have good results making their own so I just thought I'd check and see if anyone did have good resutls... Thanks...

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 14

i bought one of these last year and its still in the box. mine unfortunately did not come with instructions.

i'm horrible at tempering chocolate, so i've considered using candy melts, but then that kinda ruins the whole point of a "gourmet" chocolate cake, doesnt it?

wish i could help

Jopalis Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 14

I would be happy to share what little info I got with it... It is the Swissmar Girouette and came with the base and cutting arm. Also a small mold and dome cover.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #6 of 14

I ordered the kit to make the replacements from Sweet Celebrations in MN when they were still in business. It basicly said to use a good quality chocolate and add paramont crystals. I was fairly happy with the results using Merkens choc.

Jopalis Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #7 of 14

Is Merkens like candy melts or is it chocolate? What was the ratio you used of the chocolate to paramount crystals? What kind of chocolate and where do you get paramount crystals? Thanks.

Jeannem Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 14

Merckens is a brand of chocolate--paramount crystals are a wax substance used to thin chocolate. I don't know the amounts as I made the replacement wheel awhile ago.
I'm currently in Arizona, and won't be back to my info in MN until May. I'll check back, and if no one has helped you come May, I'll certainly forward that info to you.

Jopalis Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:25am
post #9 of 14

Thanks. Meanwhile I will experiment! icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeannem Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 14

I found the directions--it says to add 2 tbsp paramount crystals OR 2 tbsp cooking oil per pound of tempered chocolate. Paramount crystals give more elasticity. Did your kit come with the 5" ring, center post and parchment papers??
I also notice that Dove chocolate has home parties and they sell this ruffle maker ($79) and refill roll ($35).

Jopalis Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 14

You sweet thing!!! I did experiment and had moderate success. I would have to see my directions for what I did... I will for sure save yours. I know I had a white chcolate outer band and dark chocolate for the rest of the wheel. The white was Lindt and way too soft when the other chocolate was perfect. I did a cake for DH with ruffles all over it. I'll see if I can attach a pic....
Yes, I have the metal ring with center post.

Pat
LL

Jeannem Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 14

Wow--awesome cake!! Thanks for the picture--for some reason I keep forgetting to use this dang thing!! I've had it for 3-4 years, and have only used it maybe twice. Your cake will give me inspiration!!

Jopalis Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you. Funny... I can't see the picture I attached.... Where did it go?

Jeannem Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 14

Oh the picture is there-just click the picture square and it opens another screen. Yum

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%