Black Polka Dots..no Fondant Or Gumpaste..ideas?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 17

I need to make some black polka dots. Not using gumpaste, and don't want to make up a batch of MMF for the little amount I will need.

What could I use? Flattened out black candies of some type? Other than licorice, I don't think that would taste good...I'm not good with recalling what candies are out there.

Anybody ever color tootsie rolls black? Hmmmm. What else...what else?

16 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 17

You could pipe black buttercream polka dots in whatever size you need let them crust and apply to the cake or pipe them directly onto the cake.

Jibbies

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks! I still want to cut them out of something with a round cutter so they are all uniform in size. I am lousy at making perfect circles with icing.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 17

chocolate clay??? mix melted choc. w/ corn syrup...you can make very small batches........either that or you can just color some melted chocolate black and pipe little dots, let them harden and then place them in the cake with the flat underside showing to the outside.

BrenW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrenW Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 17

What about using the dark brown icon_biggrin.gif m&m's just put them on so that the M is not showing, or what about Junior Mints- too big for your polka dots?

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 17

Let's see, I haven't made the cake yet, but I think the dots need to be about 1 inch in diameter to achieve the desired look.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 17

If you want a template to make even and consistent circles when piping, you can make an outline using the bottom of an icing tip. The only other things I could think of have been mentioned...m&m's, junior mints, and coloring melted chocolate black. I know Wilton fondant sucks, but if I just need a little black, I buy the box of Wilton that contains a small black package. The dots are small enough not to make the guests think yuck, and they can pull them off easily.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 17

I was thinking about the Wilton fondant too. I just didn't want to have to say, here's a beautiful cake, but rip that nasty fondant off! Lol. I think I will buy a little tub of chocolate Satin Ice and color it black. That way I don't have to worry about it. Thanks for the help guys!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 17

I have had good luck coloring chocolate candy clay black - easy to use, and tastes good (I used the Americolor Flo-coat and black gel color) thumbs_up.gif Just roll it out and cut away....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 17

you can smear some black buttercream on some parchment and freeze it and then cut the shape out while frozen and lay on the cake too, then you don't have to worry about not getting them all the exact same size

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

you can smear some black buttercream on some parchment and freeze it and then cut the shape out while frozen and lay on the cake too, then you don't have to worry about not getting them all the exact same size

That's a good idea too...maybe I'll try that.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 17

will tootsie rolls work or not black enough?

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 17

That was something I thought of too! I just saw a post here about Satin Ice sending out free samples though...ha! I'm gonna hit them up for sure! It would probably be the right amount I need too! But I will probably end up buying a little tub of chocolate fondant at the store tomorrow just to save myself the grief....I'll experiment another time I guess!

shacart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shacart Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 17

what is satin ice?

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 17

Satin Ice is a brand name of fondant that a lot people in here swear by. I've never tried it, but hear great things about it. I'm going to get a little tub of it today maybe for a cake I am doing this weekend.

shacart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shacart Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Satin Ice is a brand name of fondant that a lot people in here swear by. I've never tried it, but hear great things about it. I'm going to get a little tub of it today maybe for a cake I am doing this weekend.

do you have to order it or can you buy it at a store

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm
post #17 of 17

I happened across some awhile back at a locally owned party supply store, and they sell a lot it. Which makes me think....who the heck is buying it anyways??? There are only a couple of other decorators in my town, and I didn't think any of them use fondant...ah, anyways. Lol.

Places like Joans and Michaels don't carry it, so most often you would have to order it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%