Need Help With My Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By corrine025 Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm by -K8memphis

corrine025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corrine025 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 13

Alright so I know you are all going to shake your heads and ask why but I am making my own wedding cake. I cannot afford to pay anyone else to do it and I have cake decorating skills from taking the wilton classes and making cakes for everyone during birthdays etc. I purchased the wilton paisley pan set because that is the one my fiance liked. He thought the shape was unique and different than what everyone else has at their weddings. I am trying to figure out a different way to do this cake other than what is in the picture. I want the cakes to just have a black ribbon around the bottom edge of each one and I want the cala lillies on it made out of gum paste. Now I have never made these before and I figure I need to start practicing now. I didnt really want the cakes just stacked right on top of each other like they are in the photo either. I wouldnt mind having them either on seperate stands or having flowers between each tier instead of just right on top of each other. The problem with this is that the shape of the cake obviously doesnt give me a lot of options as far as stands and seperaters go so I need suggestions and some input from fellow cake makers. Also since I am making this cake on my own I need a timeline on when the cake is usually baked and decorated. I obviously dont want to be making it the night before or the day of. Here is a picture of the cake so you can see how it is shaped
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Garden-Terraces-1

12 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 13

I love the paisley set!!!

If I were you, I'd buy gumpaste calla lillies to save yourself the work, unless you just really want to do them. There's a place online called wholesale sugar flowers that sells gumpaste flowers reasonably...

Good luck!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #3 of 13

Congatulations. When is the big day? I was planning to make my own wedding cake in June '09, but I go back and forth on whether or not I want to undertake that. I know I could do it, but the question is do I want that added stress. The chapel we're using will do it all, including the cake, but, of course, it is sort of a run-of-the-mill cake. Nothing extra special.
I think your cake would look nice with the ribbon on the bottom and the flowers in between the layers. I would definitely do the baking earlier in the week and freeze the layers so you're not stressed with that the night before. It would be nice if you had someone that could do the delivery and set up. After all, you're going to be getting yourself ready that day, too. I have two friends that do decorating that could help me, if needed.

Good luck. Sorry I wasn't much help!

Lisa

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:00am
post #4 of 13

Hi Corrine025!

Congrats for starters!!!

I would also check into buying the gumpaste flowers instead of doing them yourself since you will be pretty busy that week. I would also do your baking early and freeze your cakes first.

Now I love the paisley pans they make a really pretty cake!!! I also like the new designs that some decorators are doing by incorporating different shaped pans . I will include a link to one that I love love love. It's very different but you could still use the paisley pans and make it cool. Check it out!!

We will all be waiting with baited breath to see what you come up with!!!

Kristin

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_888943.html

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:37am
post #5 of 13

Our cc's Tonedna has a youtube video showing how she makes calla lillys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIjP1zRhH4&feature=channel_page

Judi

corrine025 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 13

thanks for all the input guys! I am going to do a trial layer of my cake this week just to try out the look and taste of it. I have decided that I want italian cream cake for my flavor. Thanks for the link to the cala lillies, I will try to get the tools to start practicing these! I will let you know what I come up with!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 13

Hey Corrine, if you get your flowers done ahead of time and get a nice timeline you might not have to diddle with it too much last minute. Could you get someone to deliver it for you and set it up?

The thing about a cake is that it is a last minute thing. The freshness factor is kinda high maintenance. But if you plan it right you can do it. But do not over estimate your skills. It will take you a long time to do this. Seriously, plan on it taking twice as long as you think. You will not be sorry.

Yesterday about 26 hours ago I found out a sweet friend of my daughter's was getting married, justice of the peace style. Having a little lunch reception at a restaurant. So after work I went to two stores then baked off a teensy 9x6x3 got it all filled with the strawberries & whipped cream and splashed it with some GrandMarnier, decorated it with pearls & swirly scrolls. Boxed it, got me & it to work in time for my 11:00 appointment this morning. My daughter picked it up about 12:30. I have 30+ years experience.

So here--read this--

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68445

But I mean it's a huge undertaking to make one when you are not even involved in the proceedings. It is absolutely mind blowing to do it as mob but as the bride? You gotta so have your sh*t together big time. You can do it. But you gotta be so careful or you'll hate yourself and it would be better to not even have a cake than get yourself in a pickle for your big big day.

Y'know those paisley pans have built in issues all by themsleves.

The idea of stacking them separate is a very good one. Getting flowers prepared ahead of time --great. You can make your table set up now. Find different things the right height that you want your cakes to be off the table then find some material the right color to throw over and scrunch up to make the display --see if you wanna put some lights under there.

I mean just look at that much ^^^ That's a lot of work to do on your big day when you should be getting dressed and made up and feeling chill, having great pictures taken instead of running around doing reception work.

Anyway, I'm talking your ear off (I'm on a cake high).

So ask a lot of questions--we are here for you. But if Aunt Louise offers to get you a cake--Got for it!!!

corrine025 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 13

Oh WOW! that poor woman. 900 flowers is insane for one person to undertake by themselves. My cake will be a simple iced cake with a ribbon around the bottom and maybe 10 to 15 calla lillies on it. It all depends on whether I stack the cakes or can come up with some sort of stand for them and set them seperate. I know I want a small bouquet of the lillies on top beside my hallmark bride and groom. Other than that there will only be a few on the other two layers. Right now I am in the process of making my very first homemade italian creme cake and Im going to make the icing to go on it. Im only doing the one tier so i can taste it and put the ribbon around and see if I even like it. Will let you guys know how it turned out! Oh and if an aunt decides to be generous with her money I would probably tell her to hire me a photographer! lol...I am a photographer myself but am just starting out so I dont have a whole lot of money to pay another photographer to do my photos...so its either I do them myself and only have a few photos or maybe I will get lucky and someone will love me enough to hire one for me icon_wink.gif

corrine025 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 13

alright so the cake turned out really delicious but I cannot use it for my wedding icon_sad.gif The cake itself is so moist that even though my pans were oiled and floured it still stuck and the icing wasnt spreadable like I want...so its back to the drawing board for a good flavor for the cake. I saw a post on here of heart cakes that were decorated like a tux and wedding dress. they were so cute and to be honest I am thinking of doing miniture versions of those and having mini cakes instead of a big one. My theme is Mr. and Mrs. anyhow and my favors and decorations are wedding dresses and tuxedos so I am thinking those would be super cute!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 13

Sorry the paisley cake didn't turn out as your hoped for but at least you did a trial run before the week of your wedding!! I love the "Mr. and Mrs." theme. I searched and found a couple cute cake pics with the tuxedo theme... which there are tons more by all the talented decorators on this site!! Lindy Smith also decorates really cute bride and groom cookies, which would make cute favors!!! Best wishes!!
~ Jaime

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1272623.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1216169.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1281152.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1243701.html

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 13

How many servings do you need?

Mini cakes are a mind numbing commitment of time and energy that no own would ever recommend that a bride undertake for herself.

If you are having less than 50 quests maybe and by mini cakes you mean two.

corrine025 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 13

Im going to need to feed at least 120. I guess I was thinking that cakes were priced according to size and level of difficulty but the local bakery charges per person...so if there are 150 guests, it would 300 for the cake no matter even if I get a simple small cake. This seems odd to me...is that normal?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrine025

Im going to need to feed at least 120. I guess I was thinking that cakes were priced according to size and level of difficulty but the local bakery charges per person...so if there are 150 guests, it would 300 for the cake no matter even if I get a simple small cake. This seems odd to me...is that normal?

That is not only normal it is cheap at two bucks a hit.

I mean that is their base price. So it is also true if you wanted something very elaborate it would be more per serving. Fondant covered cakes often start around $4 a serving. But then you start tacking on more for fillings and liqeuer splashes and handmade flowers.

I mean if you just add up how much it's gonna cost you for ingredients and equipment and compare it to the $2 a serving and all you have to do is pay it out--you're getting a bargain.

And you have to add in your paisley pan and those ingredients too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%