First B-Day Cake

Decorating By vteventrider Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 12:08am by AmyGonzalez

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 4

So I had been planning my son's first birthday cake for months and finally settled on a design modeled after the light in his nursery. I had just come home from a business trip late Friday night and was up all night baking, filling, and covering with fondant. Just when I thought I would fall over from lack of sleep I finally finished the fondant Winnie the Pooh, trees, and honey pots. I placed them on a cookie sheet to keep safe until I stacked the cake and placed them. Well my husband being a good man wanted to keep the figures safe from the cats and dog so he placed the sheet in the oven (without telling me). When I got up from my little sleep I preheated the oven to bake the food for the party and wondered why I smelled sugar burning. Well suffice it to say, the figures were melted and burned icon_cry.gif . With one hour to go to the party I could not recreate them so I just slapped a piece of fondant on top of the cake to cover the other pieces that were for the decorations. It worked but it looked messy and I was less than pleased with it. Oh well...like all good mistakes at parties they make a good story later.

3 replies
dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 4

Oh, I'm so sorry! You must have been so disappointed. But you're right - in the long run, telling the story will make up for your lost work. And all your son cares about is that the people he loves most were at his party.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, no! I'm so sorry this happened. I'm sure it would've been beautiful, but I'm also sure that your son only cared that he was with his family for his birthday. One day you'll be able to laugh about it. (In the far, far future!)

Lisa

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4

Wow! That is a sad story. If it were me I'd be yelling at my hubby. Poor guy, he was only tring to help. Sometimes hubbies need to stay out of the kitchen. icon_lol.gif I'm sure your son had a blast either way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%