James Roselle Flowers...

Decorating By forthwife Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 3:05am by BlakesCakes

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 5

If you could take a sugar flower class from either James Roselle (3 time Challenge winner) or Nicholas Lodge, which would you choose and why? Additionally, who else do you dream of learning from?

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 5

While I have never taken a class from Chef Roselle, I recommend Nick Lodge. I've taken classes with him, and he's extremely good. Not only skilled at flowers, but at teaching. He really knows it from every angle. I only wish I lived where I could take classes from him all the time.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 5

I would first take class(es) from Nick Lodge (which I have done several times) and then from James.

Why?

Because Nick & his classes (along with those of Betty Van Norstrand and others) are the "father/grandmother" of those like James. It's Nick's basic techniques, learned in classes, from books, and from past students, that have found their way into James' art.

If you understand Nick's methods, then a class with James may be "icing on the cake"!

Nick is such a patient, wonderful teacher--it's an experience that I wouldn't want to miss, given the opportunity.

Just my honest .02
HTH
Rae

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 5

Although I have not taken a class with either, I would love to take a class with Betty Van Norstrand. Is she still teaching? Next on list would be Ron Ben Israel-so hard to get into his classes and so expensive! Oh well, love to dream........

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #5 of 5

Yes, Betty is still teaching......and Ron was her student. I don't have any specific dates for classes she might be teaching, but I believe you can finda listing for her at ices.org

I took a class with RB-I.....

If you'd like to know how I felt about the class, please PM me.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%