Stupid Question??

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm by leah_s

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:37am
post #1 of 9

This is a really silly question but i am going to ask any how....how tall should a sheet cake be? i made one and it didn't look tall enough so a made another one to stack on top of it and then it looked to tall. icon_redface.gif thanks in advance.

8 replies
shelly-101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:56am
post #2 of 9

any one?

shelly-101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:56am
post #3 of 9

any one?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:02am
post #4 of 9

It may depend on what folks are used to in your part of the country.

In my area, the term "sheet cake" means a single layer rectangle cake with no filling and it's 2" tall.

To others, a sheet cake is torted and filled. With the filling between the torted layers, this cake might be 2.5" or 3" tall.

And then to others, still, it's a 2-layer cake with filling between the layers, that happens to be rectangle in shape. This will be about 4" tall.

If you are selling a 2-layer sheet cake, be sure you are charging for the double servings they are getting. A single layer 12x18 will serve 54 .... a two-layer 12x18 will serve 108.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:03am
post #5 of 9

P.S. No such thing as a stupid question on here. If you're asking, then there's probably someone else who wants to know, too! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:04am
post #6 of 9

Some people only make a one layer sheet cake, so you are looking at about 2in there. Others make a 2 layer one, so that is about 4in tall. Some torte the one layer (cut in half) and have a 2.5 in tall cake. And if you torte a 2 layer cake you can have something like a 5in tall cake.

Depends on what you are looking for.

If the cake just looked short compaired to the pan, then maybe you didn't uses enough batter? What size cake pan did you use? How much batter did you use?

shelly-101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:09am
post #7 of 9

i just used the wilton sheet cake pan that i bought from walmart. I used two boxed mixes.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:12am
post #8 of 9

My opinion is that a sheet cake is a one layer(2in tall) rectangle cake.

I agree with the others that have responded. There is no such thing as a stupid question!!!!!

My kids have a friend who is not afraid to ask those type of questions and then the kids will tease her.. I always tell them that they should be thankful and proud that she has the nerve to ask because I am sure thay they don't know the answer to every question she has. They reluctantly agree... lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 9

Also around here a sheet cake is 2" tall, no filling and rectangular. Once you start filling them, then it's a regular layer cake, just rectangular and then needs to be 4" tall (standard height.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%