Stabilizig Whipped Cream

Decorating By solascakes Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 7:09am by mandi1613

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 19

Please, how do i stabilize whipped cream , i need it to fill a cake 3 layers so it really needs to hold up and not turn into a mess.Thanks in advance.

ps. I live in london so do not have access to a lot of products available in the U.S,thanks again.

18 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Please, how do i stabilize whipped cream , i need it to fill a cake 3 layers so it really needs to hold up and not turn into a mess.Thanks in advance.

ps. I live in london so do not have access to a lot of products available in the U.S,thanks again.

Gelatin

Mike

solascakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 19

Thanks a lot,but i was wondering if i could use piping gel instead or does it have to be gelatin plus would it affect the taste.

panprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panprincess Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 19

I use piping gel to stabilize and it does not affect the taste

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 19

i had use gelatin and it works forme. it does not affect the taste.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:34am
post #6 of 19

I use the Wilton piping gel and the recipe found on their website. Or, you can just whip the cream properly, the sugar and proper whipping method will stabilize it anyway. I have some leftover whipped cream in the fridge from Christmas day, it's still perfectly firm with no weeping, and all I used was 2-3 tbsp sugar per cup of heavy (40% fat) cream. And some vanilla. For technique, check out the links listed in this thread http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613180.html

I don't know how long that method of stabilized wc will hold up on the actual CAKE though...I don't recall that issue being addressed.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 7:00am
post #7 of 19

this is a recipe i got of the computer.. it says used by bakeries..... 1 t. unflavored gelatin.....4 tsp. cold water.... combine..let stand til thick.....heat til dissolved....then..... whip 1 cup heavy cream...1/4 c powder sugar... 1/2 t vanilla then add gelatin mixture.... whip til stiff... i have made this before and it was very good... also piped border with it..and some type of flower. can,t remember which flower hth

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 19

Honestly, if you just whip it properly, it will stay fine for many days without separating.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 19

I add a little white chocolate ganache and omit sugar.

solascakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks everybody,i will try some stuff,the cake is actually for my birthday on the 1st of Jan, but i need to practice in case i get an order from a customer requiring whipped cream. Thanks again,God bless you all.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 19

I use piping gel and I love it it holds perfect. thumbs_up.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

I use piping gel and I love it it holds perfect. thumbs_up.gif

If you don't mind my asking, how much piping gel do you use?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 19

Here is more info.

I got this from a website honestly I do not remember which one, but I hope it helps.

STABILIZING WHIPPED CREAM

Tips On Helping To Prevent Whipped Cream From Weeping (Bleeding Water after Being Whipped)

1) Use a (chilled) stainless steel or copper bowl for whipping cream.
2) Place a clean bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes before whipping cream.

3) One way of making great whipped cream frosting for cakes is: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of instant dry vanillla pudding mix as you are beating the cream. The pudding adds flavor and texture to the cream.

4) Beat heavy cream with some confectioners' sugar (icing sugar). Use 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar per cup of heavy whipping cream or double cream) to help stabilize the whipped cream.

5) Beat in 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin per cup of whipping cream, heavy cream, or double cream to help stabilize it. Gelatin gives whipping cream a firm, mousse-like texture giving it many uses. Because gelatin stabilizes the whipped cream, it does not weep (bleed water after awhile).

6) Add a teaspoon of cream of tartar to chilled heavy cream, whipping cream, or double cream to help it whip well.

7) Add a few drops of lemon juice to whipping cream to help stabilize the whipped cream.

8 ) Use of Piping Gel for Stabilizing Whipped Cream: Whether you want to use whipped cream to ice or as a filling, stabilizing it with piping gel can be so helpful. Add 2 tablespoons of piping gel to 1 cup liquid heavy whipping cream or double cream, and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar. Whip with chilled electric beaters until stiff peaks form. You can use the stabilized whipped cream to make rosettes, shell trim, star trim and other border designs.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM RECIPE USING PIPING GEL:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 pint (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons Piping Gel* (see recipe below)
1/2 teaspoon Clear Vanilla or Almond Extract

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine whipping cream and sugar in mixing bowl. Whip to soft peak stage. Add piping gel and vanilla, then continue to whip stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, GREAT information Frankyola. Thanks so much for posting that. That is a tremendous help!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:12am
post #15 of 19

What Leahs said. Although I have used Wilton in the past, as I mentioned, I didn't for my Christmas cake this year. It has now been 4 full days (96 hours) since whipping that cream, and the leftovers are still in perfect condition in my fridge.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go into the fridge to eat the leftover whipped cream, so unfortunately I won't be able to tell you if this method works for five days icon_razz.gif .

solascakes Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks a lot you guys,i'm spoilt for choice.

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 19

every time i try to use gelatin to stablize whipped cream it turns out lumpy

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi1613

every time i try to use gelatin to stablize whipped cream it turns out lumpy

Do you bloom it, and then heat it?

Mike