Please Help!! Red Icing Is Pink!

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 2:00am by katwomen1up

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:09am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know any tricks to getting icing really really red? I made a batch of buttercream and added an entire bottle of Wilton No Taste Red (can't stand the aftertaste of some others) and it is still pretty pink. Then I added Americolor Christmas Red until I started noticing an aftertaste. Are there any tricks to getting a true red, or is it just the brand of coloring that makes the difference?

Thank you so much for your help!!

8 replies
kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 6:24am
post #2 of 9

I used the same coloring on a cake I did for the holidays and had the same problem.After I used nearly all the coloring on about 2 cups worth of icing it was a more truer red but not as dark as I would have liked.It did darken a little after awhile.Mine seemed too runny,like it had water added to it,is yours this way too?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:21am
post #3 of 9

Red takes time to develop, let it rest at least an hour and it will darken.
There are a few red cakes in my pics that were all made with what started out as dark pink butter cream, it turned red after sitting for awhile.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

Don't panic, it will get darker. If it tastes really nasty and your customer doesn't mind add some cocoa powder, this will help darken it up. And yes it does take time to develope, so let it sit a while and it will get darker. If you're piping it on it will also darken when piping. I use the no taste red and tulip red mixed. Start small, take some of what you've already mixed and transfer to another bowl. Add the cocoa powder and or more buttercream. It's hard to tell you what to do without knowing how much you have. DId you use the small gel container of color? I don't use those I find it breaks down the frosting, at least mine, plus it takes a lot.

HTH,
Kat

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 9

If you use chefmaster liqua gel concentrated colors it takes very little and does not need to sit to develop. It also doesn't taste "nasty". That's the only food color I use now and I love it.

KrissieCakes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone! The icing definitely darkened, but it's still not the deep vibrant red that I was hoping for. I was trying to copy a bowling cupcake by PinkCakeBox, which was a fondant ball and pin sitting on a fluffy mound of red icing. The pins and balls turned out awesome and the cupcakes are delicious (if I do say so myself icon_smile.gif ). The frosting was just a disaster though. I wasted a whole bag of PS trying a new BC recipe that turned out pretty nasty, I had to go to multiple stores for red food coloring (why did I wait until the day after Xmas?), then I couldn't find the big round tip anywhere!!! So the pink icing was just the final straw in my all nighter!

I'm just a hobby baker, so at least these aren't for a paying customer. They are for my FIL's 70th bday party for 200 tonight. Hopefully it will be dark and no one will notice that I made pink cupcakes for a 70 yo man!! icon_smile.gif

THANK YOU everyone!

KrissieCakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 9

Here is my final product! They definitely darkened over time, so I was very pleased. Thank you all for calming me!!
LL

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:40am
post #8 of 9

Those are so cute, nice job! I'm glad it worked out.
On a side note, black and navy/dark blue also darken over time.
I start with a dark gray and let it sit until it turns black.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #9 of 9

They look great, nice job. You're welcome, we're here to help. We've all been there before and I know I will again. LOL... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%