First Time To Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

Decorating By carmenid Updated 28 Dec 2008 , 12:47am by ceshell

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 11

made it by first time yesterday and it was wonderful and delicious...never again will I go back to the Wilton recipe!

now...how do you store it? I placed it in the refrigerator over night and it turned hard! it's been outside of the refrigerator for a few hours now and it is soft but not smooth...what do I make it smooth again? does it HAS to be refrigerated or can it be kept outside? I fear food poisoning and since there are eggs in the mix I was very apprehensive to leave it outside...

10 replies
carmenid Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 11

anyone?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #3 of 11

It has to be kept in the fridge for storage. You need to bring it back to room temp and then rewhip it before you use it again.

It's fine being out of the fridge for hours on a cake. The eggs are cooked and the sugar stabilizes it, at least for the hours a cake needs to sit out.

carmenid Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:03am
post #4 of 11

thanks! that's a gorgeous cake, by the way!

JodieF Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #5 of 11

oh thanks! That's so sweet of you! I loved using the chocolate transfers on that cake!

Jodie

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:54am
post #6 of 11

I tried this recently but it came out a bit grainy. Did I not heat it long enough to melt the sugar or is it supposed to be that way?

JodieF Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:04am
post #7 of 11

No....it shouldn't be grainy at all! I'm guessing the sugar didn't melt. It has to reach 140 degrees.
It has a very smooth, silky texture when it's done.

Jodie

carmenid Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkyo

I tried this recently but it came out a bit grainy. Did I not heat it long enough to melt the sugar or is it supposed to be that way?

I found this great video on youtube on how to do swiss meringue buttercream:

it was very helpful for me, I highly recommend it!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:33am
post #9 of 11

According to the Margaret Braun book you can leave it out in a cool room for several days. I do it all the time.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #10 of 11

I recently tried smbc, I thought it was rather soft like whipped topping. Was I suppose to refridgerate it or ?? icon_confused.gif But other than that it tasted good, I don't know if it would have piped well.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:47am
post #11 of 11

I made a soft batch of SMBC once, but I think that was...ahem..."user error". For most people, SMBC and IMBC are interchangeable and can definitely be used for piping.

Here is a thread with photos of MBC cakes decorated (including piping); I know some of the posters actually used SMBC, not IMBC as stated in the thread title. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15 (I just posted this link on another SMBC thread so sorry to those of you who just visited the link...it's one of my favorite discussions here!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%