Butter Left Out All Night

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 3:26am by jibbies

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 24

I accidentally put unsalted butter in the pantry and not in the refrigerator. I know I've seen discussions about butter and eggs, and that in England these items are not generally refrigerated.

Can someone tell me if it's still good? I would hate to throw out $6 worth of butter but it's not worth poisoning anyone over icon_wink.gif

23 replies
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #2 of 24

It's fine.
We always leave our butter in a dish, out on our counter. Except in the very hot humid days of summer. My grandmother did it, and I've always done it. Been eating it for over 48 years that way. Hasn't seemed to do me any harm yet. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 24

i too put my butter on a plate and leave it on the counter for personal use, easier to spread when soft. It is salted though, no idea if that makes a difference.

bizatchgirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 24

Thanks! I mentioned the salt because I know salt acts as a preservative. I'm only baking for friends and family so I think I'll chance it. Maybe if I actually sold to anyone, I'd just have to suck it up and buy more!

cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #5 of 24

Ya, if it's family I'd probably do the same thing... for anyone else, no way.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:51am
post #6 of 24

It's fine. Butter does not have to be refrigerated. It will last a lot longer in the refrigerator, though. But for quick use, NOT a problem.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 24

ditto leahs
I also have a butter bell

Jibbies

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 24

I wouldn't try it, if I were you. I have been leaving mine out in a butter dish, and using it, for 67 years, and now my skin is sagging, my hair is gray and my bones hurt. I wouldn't want this to happen to you or your customers. icon_cry.gif

Merry Christmas to all!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I wouldn't try it, if I were you. I have been leaving mine out in a butter dish, and using it, for 67 years, and now my skin is sagging, my hair is gray and my bones hurt. I wouldn't want this to happen to you or your customers. icon_cry.gif

Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh. Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #10 of 24
Quote:

Merry Christmas to all!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif has someone been in the eggnog? icon_lol.gif toooo funny

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:18am
post #11 of 24
Quote:

Merry Christmas to all!

Ha! You crack me up! Merry Christmas! thumbs_up.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:43am
post #12 of 24

I'm 63 and I've been doing the same thing. Wow, if I had known it caused the sagging, cranky joints and gray hair, I would've slapped the butter in the frig. Oh, well too late now.

Merry Christmas, all.

bizatchgirl Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #13 of 24

BCJean, you are the best! Thank you for the great laugh. I hope everybody is having a wonderful holiday.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 5:36am
post #14 of 24

Man, I though the effect was the wide hips. icon_confused.gif So now I get the wrinkles and gray hair too?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 24

and don't forget the teeth slowly being replaced by crowns or bridges, the cataract surgery, the CPAP machine, the just around the bend hearing aid.......

but still --- bring on the butter! for those Christmas rolls, candied yams, mashed potatoes, cookies

Merry Christmas

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 24

To all who answered, can you tell me what I can do with eggs that were left out all night? I prepared the ingredients, except the one thing I was missing. dh came home late with that, so I decided to bake in the morning. Found the eggs out icon_sad.gif The one with a crack will be going in the garbage for sure, but what's with the others? TIA

isista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isista Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 24

Nothing will happen (except cracked one) I have been to many manufacturers kitchen in Turkey which all have HACCP (an international standart for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) standart, and they keep their eggs and butter in room temperature outside..But be sure to use them before expiry dates.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 24

In the UK, our eggs aren't refrigerated when we buy them at the shops.

For some reason, when I get home, I do usually put them in the fridge - but if I don't have room, I just leave them in their box, on the counter.

But I agree to throw out the cracked one.

Suzanne x

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks so much!!

cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #20 of 24

LOL... CPAP... already there! dang it. So, are we saying that if i cut out all the butter in my life i will be wrinkle free, my hair will no longer have white roots, my bootie will no longer look like last months carton of cottage cheese and my teeth will be pearly white? Screw it, I don't need to be a super model, I'll take the butter any day!!! icon_surprised.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

ditto leahs

Jibbies

I've seen butter bells and have always wanted to try one. How do you like yours Jibbies?

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:30pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:

Merry Christmas to all!

SO THAT'S WHY I AM STARTING TO LOOK LIKE THIS. TOOOO FUNNY. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 4:06pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and don't forget the teeth slowly being replaced by crowns or bridges, the cataract surgery, the CPAP machine, the just around the bend hearing aid.......
Merry Christmas

WOW.. I must tell dh this.. he was sure it was the wine, women, and fast livin that caused that... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

ditto leahs

Jibbies

I've seen butter bells and have always wanted to try one. How do you like yours Jibbies?

Love it! Your butter is always spreadable with no waiting!
Sorry it took me so long to reply we have had a house full of family since last Wednesday, and our 7 month old grandson Noah.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%