Adding Sour Cream To Cake Mix?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 1:51am by cakesbykitty

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 6

Is there a modified cake mix recipe that adds sour cream to cake mix? Or a chocolate cupcake recipe using dutch cocoa and sour cream?

I made a similiar recipe for a Guiness stout cake and it was delicious, and I want to re-create it without the Guinness (my mom won't like the slight hint of beer).

I posted this question under the recipe forum, but without many hits, so I hope it will get more exposure here.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

5 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

You can make the wasc cake with any cake mix you want. i use chocolate cake and add vanilla instead of the almond. it's really good . Also the darm good chocolate cake recipe is to die for. Here is the link http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2163-1-Darn-Good-Chocolate-Cake.html

Both cakes are good!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

We use this recipe:

2 c flour, 1 c cocoa powder, 2 c sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 c sour cream, 2 eggs, 1/2 c vegetable oil, 1 c hot water, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare cake pans.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, bakign soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Mix on low speed 1-2 minutes.
5. Add sour cream, eggs, oil, water, and extract.
6. Mix on low until thoroughly incorporated, scraping sides of bowl.
7. Mix on medium for 1 minute longer.
8. Pour into prepared pans & bake 35-40 minutes.
9. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.

YIELD: 10-12 (2-layer); 20-24 (single layer)

HTH

Paul & Peter

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 6

Those sound good! But anyone else with recipes, please post as well. I'm not that good at making up recipes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

As was said, use my *original* WASC recipe with a chocolate cake mix *&* use the almond flavoring and you will have the best cake evericon_smile.gif
For the flavoring use 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring and 1/4 tsp almond.......YYUUUMMMMM")

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:51am
post #6 of 6

the darn good chocolate cake recipe from the cake doc is my all time most requested recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%