Help! I Have No Meringue Powder For My Cookie Icing.

Baking By kathik Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm by sweet_teeth

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 11

I wanted to make Antonia's Icing tonight but I don't have any meringue powder in the house and I can't get anywhere for it tonight. What would happen if I made it without the meringue powder? Is there a substitute?

Thanks,
kathi

10 replies
Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 11

Isn't it possible to use egg whites instead?? I believe I heard that somewhere.....Other than that idea I got nothing. Hopefully someone else can help you.

ChefDebby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefDebby Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:48am
post #3 of 11

It is possible to use egg whites instead of meringue poweder and still get the same result.

Good luck!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 11

I've used the recipe plenty of times and I get great results, and it dries hard.. so you can stack them.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookie-Icing/Detail.aspx

I kinda wing the ingredients to get the consistency that I like, but it's a great base recipe, IMO.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 11

I like the recipe that alexandrabill posted. There's no egg whites, which is an allergen. The addition of corn syrup keeps the icing from drying rock hard like royal icing.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 11

Hi there,
You can use the egg whites but the reason most of us use meringue powder is because the raw egg white poses a health risk (IMO very minor) because of possible salmonella contamination. You could use Toba Garrett's glace (recipe found here on cc). It is a very nice icing. Different from royal though. It is tasty and I have a friend who always wants me to use it on his cookies! Maybe you could flood with toba's then use royal accents using the egg white. That was the risk of the salmonella is minimized. If it is for your family I would go with an egg. But it is up to you! Good luck!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I've used the recipe plenty of times and I get great results, and it dries hard.. so you can stack them.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Cookie-Icing/Detail.aspx

I kinda wing the ingredients to get the consistency that I like, but it's a great base recipe, IMO.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Do you have to de-grease everything with this recipe like you do with RI.?

kathik Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone. I fell asleep so didn't see the responses. I can't work on them until I get home tonight so I think I will try to locate some meringue powder on the way home. I just have to locate a place to buy it since I don't pass a craft store or Walmart on my route home.

Thanks though,
Kathi

P.S. The reason I wanted to use Antonia's is that I want to have a very white white and usually with Toba's Glaze I can't achieve that effect. I don't really know why, I'm sure it's me and not the recipe, though.

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

Can you use brite white in toba's glace.

kathik Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 11

I have tried using the whitener by Wilton. Is that what you mean, HeavenLeeCakes?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 11

[/quote]

Do you have to de-grease everything with this recipe like you do with RI.?[/quote]

Nope! It's pretty fail-proof. I usually just use the ingredients stated, eyeball it, mix it up with a spoon... and use it. It's GREAT. It tastes good.. and doesn't break your teeth!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%