For All You Pinecone Lovers!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 7:35am by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 17

I've been getting lots and lots of requests for the tutorial for making bc pinecones. Since I've been also battling illness, I've been a bit remiss in checking my CC mailbox. I apologize if this caused any problems in making them for your holiday cakes! So....here is the tutorial.

The pinecones made in the tutorial are small, about 1 1/2". They can be made larger using a larger rose tip and a larger candy stick. Just keep things cold. Leave them on the sticks so they can be place in the cake easily. I push them into the cake using a toothpick right down the center of the pinecone. I hopw this will help you all and will be a bit more efficent.
Happy Baking and a Very Merry Christmas!
PennySue
P.S. Pine needles were made with a #233 grass tip.
LL

16 replies
JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I've been getting lots and lots of requests for the tutorial for making bc pinecones. Since I've been also battling illness, I've been a bit remiss in checking my CC mailbox. I apologize if this caused any problems in making them for your holiday cakes! So....here is the tutorial.

The pinecones made in the tutorial are small, about 1 1/2". They can be made larger using a larger rose tip and a larger candy stick. Just keep things cold. Leave them on the sticks so they can be place in the cake easily. I push them into the cake using a toothpick right down the center of the pinecone. I hopw this will help you all and will be a bit more efficent.
Happy Baking and a Very Merry Christmas!
PennySue
P.S. Pine needles were made with a #233 grass tip.

Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #3 of 17

Thanks for sharing and I hope you feel better soon !
Merry Christmas !

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:38am
post #4 of 17

Your pinecones are lovely, I can see why so many people would be asking for a tutorial! Thanks for posting!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 17

Your cake is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial and feel better soon icon_smile.gif

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 17

Great tutorial, thank you!!

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 17

Great tutorial, thank you!!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks! And, Get Well Wishes To You!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 17

Fantastic tutorial! Thank You. icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 17

Penny! Your cake is beautiful!! Thank you for sharing! icon_lol.gif

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 17

Wonderful tutorial, feel better soon.

Barb (Wildrose)

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 17

those are BC? thats amazing! they look like fondant!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #13 of 17

those are just gorgeous, but here is a (probably silly) question... how do you get them off the stick when you are done?

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 17

Penny Sue said "Leave them (pinecones) on the sticks so they can be placed into the cake easily. Push them into the cake with a toothpick right down the center of the pinecone". Nice cake, Penny Sue. Hope this clears up the process for you, kakesbykitty.

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:33am
post #15 of 17

What type of candy sticks are you using. I've never seen a solid white stick that you show in your tutorial. Did you have to order them special?

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:28am
post #16 of 17

I use pretzel sticks or rods and pipe the scales on with a petal tip in either royal or BC. Let dry, then push into the cake. The pretzels break off easily if for some reason you need the stick end to be shorter. I made some very small pinecones in royal icing to add to the cookie wreath in my pics.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:35am
post #17 of 17

I've heard of using pretzel sticks, just never tried it. The sticks I used I got at Michael's in the cake/candy area. Hobby Lobby should also have them. They are just sticks you'd use to make lolly pops with or chocolate suckers with. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%