Trimming The Fondant From The Base Of A Cake

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 1:53am by cakesbykitty

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, i usually trim the edges of my cakes with little balls because the edge is always uneven but i dont always want to have to do this in case someone doesnt want it. i just made a christmas cake without balls and it looks good but the edges arent perfect. i dont know what im doing it just always ends up uneven with little bits of cake showing. any tips?? should i just leave a bit more excess??

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 9

I have that problem. Sugarshack's DVD helped.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 9

Trim it JUST a little more out that you think it should be, then take your smoothers and press it down on the board. Then you can trim the tiny edge again. It should be neater that way icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with Jennifer... I use a pizza cutter, that helps a ton!

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

I had that same problem. I tried using a knife, pizza cutter, the fondant wheel cutter from Wilton and somehow still screwed it up! I finally tried using a Olfa razor knife from the hardware store (new clean blade of course) and it worked great. Its a very small skinny blade and I was able to get the fondant cut right at the bottom of the cake. Although I could still improve on it, it looks alot neater than what I had been doing.

I'm thinking an exacto knife would work the same.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #6 of 9

I too use a pizza cutter and have had success with that.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

A pizza cutter works great. I would definitely invent in sugar shack's dvds. They are awesome. What helps for me is once I lay the fondant over the cake, cut away big excess of fondant off. Then get your smoother and smooth the top. Then go around the sides and use the edge of fondant smoother to make a small crease. This is where you will cut. Just make sure you smooth all the away around, press down for the crease and then cut. It takes a alot of practice. My movie theme cake in my photos was the first cake I ever did without a border. It was nice for a change. HTH!

Ana

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:10am
post #8 of 9

[quote="aa053103"]A pizza cutter works great. I would definitely invent in sugar shack's dvds. They are awesome. What helps for me is once I lay the fondant over the cake, cut away big excess of fondant off. Then get your smoother and smooth the top. Then go around the sides and use the edge of fondant smoother to make a small crease. This is where you will cut. Just make sure you smooth all the away around, press down for the crease and then cut. It takes a alot of practice. My movie theme cake in my photos was the first cake I ever did without a border. It was nice for a change. HTH!

Ana[/quote]

your cakes and cookies are absolutly beautiful you'r very very talented!! the strawberry shortcake one is amazing, i cant stop looking at it!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

a clean exacto knife that is used for food only is a precision cutter for fondant at any time... whether it be your cake base or cutting shapes. Couldn't live without mine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%