Adding Chocolate Liquer To Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm by donnan

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #1 of 11

I have a bottle of Godiva liquer (one of each...white chocolate and regular) from when I worked at Godiva Chocolatier.

Can I add this to a box a dark chocolate cake mix instead of water to make it taste better?

How much should I add?

I know Im full of questions today, but I promise after the holidays Im taking a cake break!

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 11

Frankly, I prefer to add liqueur directly to the baked layers of cake as a wash. It provides a much more pungent punch to the cake than adding liqueur to the mix, and you will use a lot less by brushing it directly on the cake layers.

I LOVE brushing Kahlua on chocolate cake. icon_smile.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:14am
post #3 of 11

and it won't make the cake mushy or too soft?

sparklepopz Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 11

No. You don't want to drown it, just brush the layers with the liqueur using a standard pastry brush. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:30am
post #5 of 11

a lot of people add the liqueur to simple syrup... then brush it on the cake layers... or put the simple syrup in a spray bottle and spray it on... or make tiny holes in the layers and slowly pour a little over the layers...

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 11

If you want, you can replace your water with the liqueur. Also try adding a teaspoon or two of the liqueur to your buttercream recipe. YUM!

Paul & Peter

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:36am
post #7 of 11

I don't add it to my cakes, but I do add it to my buttercream and it is SOOO good!

sparklepopz Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:06am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

If you want, you can replace your water with the liqueur. Also try adding a teaspoon or two of the liqueur to your buttercream recipe. YUM!

Paul & Peter

You've actually added a cup and a third of straight liqueur to a cake mix or doctored cake mix? Seems like it would be terribly overpowering to the flavor of the cake itself.

Someonesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 11

Since it was dark chocolate cake already I decided just to add some to my buttercream.

And after having myself a chocolate martini, I gave up on trying to get smooth buttercream and just drizzled some melted chocolate over the top!

I kinda forgot how much of a cheap drunk I was! LOL

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 11

Sparkle---

Nope! Since it's baking off, you get the taste without it being overpowering. We've also done it with wine!

Paul & Peter

donnan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 11

I make instant chocolate pudding and reduce the milk...adding Godiva Chocolate liquor and Kaluah, probably 1/4 cup of each. Add less total liquid than the box calls for so that it will be thicker. It makes a wonderful filling for a chocolate cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%