Fondant W/ Tylose

Baking By didavista Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm by Frankyola

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:37am
post #1 of 5

Hi..I hope some one help me. I want to add tylose powder to my fondant to make it harden faster like gumpaste but how much do you add, say for like a soft ball size amount of fondant. And do you just kneed it into the already prepared fondant? Thanks in Advance for any suggestions.

4 replies
sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #2 of 5

Adding tylose is kind of tricky because it will take it time to actually "activate". My advise is to knead in a little, start with less rather than more, then wrap it in ceran wrap and let it rest on the counter for a couple of hourse. Then give it a knead and see where you're at and go from there. I've done this once before and that's how it worked for me. Good luck and hope I'm not too late!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:43am
post #3 of 5

Aine2 has a video for this somewhere - check her profile to get the link to her video sites. In the video she states how much tylose she uses per "x" amount of fondant. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I don't recall the amount icon_redface.gif

Edited to add: according to G S A's website, they state to "Add 2 -3 tsp of Tylose powder to 1lb of fondant." If you have a scale you can factor the amount based on how much your wad of fondant weighs...

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:19am
post #4 of 5

I watched Aine2's video just today and it is 1/2 tsp per 250 grams of fondant. That's about 1/2 a pound of fondant. I've had different results sometimes. I don't know if it's just me or the weather (we have really wacky weather here sometimes) usually drier around here. I add a little bit then wait and see what it's like, I've made some brick solid pieces before!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

I watched Aine2's video just today and it is 1/2 tsp per 250 grams of fondant. That's about 1/2 a pound of fondant. I've had different results sometimes. I don't know if it's just me or the weather (we have really wacky weather here sometimes) usually drier around here. I add a little bit then wait and see what it's like, I've made some brick solid pieces before!

Totally agree thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%