Price Quotes

Decorating By Denae Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm by CakeForte

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 7

how do you guys keep up with your price quotes? like if a bride ask for a price quote, you give it to her and she emails you again for another one 4 months later and you quote her a price of $20 more...not remembering what you quoted her before...how do you keep track of who you quote what?

6 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 7

I always keep a record of who I send quotes to and check to make sure they haven't inquired before. I try to keep at least a copy of emails or even hard copies of any kind of correspondence with prospective clients. sometimes it is only a slip of paper in a file for that month. but at least I still have something.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 7

I do everything by email and I create a folder for every single inquiry. It's labeled by date: "2009-06-13 Brim, Debi". So if Debi calls me 4 months later for a quote for a wedding on 6-13, when I check my files I see that I already have one for her.

I also send out all quotes with a notations of "quotes valid for 30 days". If they dont' book in 30 days, then it's subject to different pricing.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 7

great point with valid for 30 days thing...thanks for the responses.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 1:03am
post #5 of 7

Good idea indydebi I usually jut keep the emails for a month that way I know who asked for what.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 7

The reason I keep all of them is for my end-of-the-year stats. For example in 2008, I rec'd 294 inquiries, compared to 172 inquiries in 2007. I booked over 41% of these inquiries for 2008.

I tripled the number of events booked .... the biggest impact in this category were the "cake only" (no catering ... just a drop off wedding cake) which went from 5.9% of total sales in 2007 to 19.4% of total sales in 2008. The number of cakes-only went from 9 in 2007 to 62 in 2008.

So keeping a record of how many quotes you sent out; how many brides you talked to; how many blind inquiries you rec'd ..... will give you a bigger picture of how your biz is doing; how you are spending your time; and if you're really growing the dollar side ... or just spinning your wheels on the busy-work side.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 7

I use one of the carbon copy quote books and give them a "valid for 2 weeks" deadline.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%