Stupid Question About Royal Icing

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm by gales

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 15

Okay.. this is probably a stupid question but I have to ask because I want to make some of those melted snowman cookies tonight.

I make Antonia's royal icing but how do get royal that white color?? I guess you would color it with white ???

TOld you it was stupid!!

14 replies
gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 15

The tiniest bit of blue can make white appear whiter

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 15

Also if you use crisco only it will be whiter than if you use butter, which will tint it a bit yellow/off-white.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 15

A little violet (which I suppose works like the blue mentioned above) will get it white/white. Just a little bit at a time though so it doesn't start to turn that color. THe idea is that violet cancels out any yellow on the color spectrum. It's a really neat trick!

gales Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks sonoma9 - I was unaware of that. Its good to know

melissaread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaread Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 15

i was wondering the same thing. thanks for the tip!

mcdonald Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 15

thanks for the info guys!!! I will give it a try!!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

Also if you use crisco only it will be whiter than if you use butter, which will tint it a bit yellow/off-white.

you don't use butter or crisco in royal icing. Royal icing is normally a brilliant white colour anyway. Did you mean royal icing or did you mean buttercream

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 15

I just made a batch using a small amount of blue food color and they seem pretty white. Brighter than the other one I made a few days ago.

What I did was mix the blue coloring in some warm water and just added a few drops at a time and mixed. I was scared to add the color directly to the bowl fearing Id put to much and have royal blue snowflakes!

Would adding a little bit of blue to fondant also make it bright white?

Thanks for the tip!

mcdonald Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 15

I was referring to royal and not buttercream. I know you can add the blue to buttercream but I didn't realize you could add it to royal as well..... so ya'll have tried this and it worked?? My royal always seems somewhat transparent and I want it white..

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 15

iif its transparent you are eiter not beating it enough or using too little ps, RI should be really white if its made correctly

mcdonald Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 15

good info Riana!!! I appreciate it!! I will give it another shot tonight!

gales Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 15

I agree with the last statement, but I stand by adding a little blue colouring either to fondant or royal icing gives it a "brighter white". It works on the same priciple that they used to in England years ago with a product called "dolly blue" to whiten clothes, my own Mum and Gran used to use it. Washing powder manufacturers started adding blue flecks into washing powders to get the same effects. Until today though I had not thought about using violet.

mcdonald Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Gales for the info... sounds like you've got it down!! I can make sense of the example that you use too.

I am going to give it a try .. wish me luck (like NOT dropping the whole bottle in there!!) and I will let everyone know tomorrow!!!

Thanks again ...

gales Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 15

Adding colour bit by bit with the tip of a cocktail stick and then working it into the icing works for me, wouldn't go near the icing with a whole bottle, I'm far too accident prone for that. Work on the law that what can happen will happen!

Good luck with the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%