Looking For Cake Ball Recipe Thread...

Decorating By Bouncin4Bonjovi Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 12:15am by tobycat

Bouncin4Bonjovi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #1 of 6

Is there a thread that talks about cake ball recipes? My local grocery store was having a sale on cake mixes 10 for $10, so ..... I bought 10 different kinds of cake mixes.... Lemon, chocolate, spice, vanilla, and chocolate fudge. So I am looking for some recipes for all of these cake mixes. Can anyone help me? TIA and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

5 replies
Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:58am
post #2 of 6

Anyone?????

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 6

There are a lot of threads about cake balls but I'm horrible about being able to pull them up as reference.
I have yet to try cake balls with icing. I'll tell you the way I do it. I use liquor or coffee syrups for binders when needed then I dip the cake ball in chocolate.
I can tell you that cake balls should not be soggy. A lot of times the cake is moist enough and you do not need to add any binder/liquid to it. If you do need to add liquid just add a small amount at a time.
The cake should have the feel of damp/wet sand. This will be just enough to hold it together when you form them into balls. Place on a parchment/wax paper and freeze for about 10-20 minutes.
Dip in tempered chocolate and set aside until chocolate is set.

you can do lots of combo's but these seem to be the favorites that I make:
Hazelnut flavored cake with mini-choc. chip, chocolate cake with coconut and coconut rum, chocolate cake with raspberry flavorings, white cake with caramel syrup as a binder, spice cake dipped in white chocolate, and lemon cake dipped in white chocolate.

Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 6

I was thinking of lemon cake or spice cake with cream cheese and p.sugar binder then dipped in white chocolate. Do think the cream cheese will be too heavy for the cake?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:08am
post #5 of 6

I've never done any with cream cheese or any form of icing so I can't help you there. Sorry. If you can make a the cake up and just use a small section of the cake pieces to experiment with to see if you like the cream cheese combo with it. If you do, then you can just add the rest of the cake and more ingredients and your good to go.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

Use whatever flavorings you think will work best, but I've found that liqueurs and stronger flavors like peanut butter or even candy oils work best. (If using candy oils, you have to use some other type of liquid as well to bind it.) I've actually gotten these things down so well that they come out looking highly professional. If you want any tips on the process, just pm me, and I'll be happy to share.

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%