What Is The Best Buttercream Recipe For Multiple Use???

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:44am by saap1204

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 17

I think I am asking for to much...lol...

But I would like a buttercream recipe that is delicious as a filling soft yet delicious.....and I would love a buttercream that can be used to ice and fondant cakes......also for it to stand up to the viva Method when Brides are in a budget and want a "faux fondant" look.

Phew...I think I am asking for to much..lol

I usually make mine out of pure shortnening...I find this to be alot cheaper than using real butter, but use clear Butter and Vanilla Extract, But if I have to use half butter and half shortnening I will do so.

I also heard that walmart sells a buttercream to do all that all you do is add your flavorings but it can withstand all of that multiple purpose...what do you guys think?? Thank you in advance.

Luz

16 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 17

I myself usually use Sugarshack's recipe. Other's have wonderful results with plenty of different recipes but I vary this one with jams, amaretto, homemade cookie dough, etc. It smooths very easily and the flavors can be varied.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 17

I use Buttercream Dream for everything you listed. Everyone has loved the taste so far and I've used it for well over a year. It also keeps very well if you have any left over.
Here's the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 17

I also vote for Sugarshack's bc. Works well for a wonderfully smooth cake for the viva method(I use wax paper) and it works well for piping, flowers etc if you like bc for that. I also use Serious_Cakes cause I like the taste.

I'm new to this and tested a lot of the recipes here...ALL of them are good depending on what you want the recipe to do, and your personal tastes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 17

I use indydebi's recipe for everything. It tastes good, it's creamy and it crust very well. However, I use hiratio instead of crisco.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 17

gotta agree with tiggy on this one! icon_rolleyes.gif It's the only (!) icing I've used for 25 years.... use it for icing, filling, roses, drop flowers, borders, stringwork, absolutely EVERYTHING! I've just started doing fondant and I use it under that, too.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 5:57am
post #7 of 17

IndyDebi's Recipe using Sugarshack's method of making and applying. icon_smile.gif

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 17

Same here...I use IndyDebi's and used the hot liquid with Hi ratio shortening like SugarShack's ....I can't tell you how pleased I was with the results....looks just like fondant. It was the first time using it that ways and was VERY pleased with the results. I also used computer paper for the 1st time and it made a BIG difference.

Thanks for the wax paper tip, I will try that next time.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 17

Hi,

How do you store IndyDebi's buttercream. In the frig? On the counter? I am very new at this art.

indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

Hi,

How do you store IndyDebi's buttercream. In the frig? On the counter? I am very new at this art.

I store it on the counter (for days and days)>

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 17

I've recently been using the hot liquid and hiratio (sometimes 1/2 butter 1/2 hiratio) in indydebi's recipe and I'll never go back to any other BC.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 17

Since Indydebi is here, I have a question about the buttercream?
How many cups does your recipe make?

Thanks!
Susan

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 17

I was just going to ask the same thing...how much does it make? I think I'll try it for this weekend's cake.

indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 17

I have no idea how much it makes ... I never measure. A batch (defined as using 2 lbs p.sugar) will ice an 8" 2-layer round with some left over; will ice and border an 11x15 ... when I make a wedding cake (using 7 cake mixes), I'd end up using between three and four 2-lb bags of p.sugar. (It's getting harder to remember, since I only make batches using about 15 lbs of p.sugar now.)

But since it stores great and has a good shelf life, I always made WAY more than I needed and just stored the leftover.

Wildkatzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildkatzcakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 17

ok...here is my ?....do either of these buttercreams freeze well????

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks, IndyDebi!!!!! You rock!!!!!

Susan

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #17 of 17

I love IndyDebi's! I just used it as a base for champagne frosting and it is delicious! It is so light and creamy. I use regular Crisco when I make it and I usually make 1-1/2 recipes when I do (that is all that will fit in my KA). This will easily cover a 9" cake plus dams, borders and decorations with some left over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%