Please Recommend An Airbrush. Santa Needs Help.

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm by SandyS

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

My family wants to get me an airbrush and they have no idea which one would be good for cake decorating. They are so confused, they came right out and asked me which one I wanted. Well, I don't have any idea either and need your recommendations. I'm very excited to get one - even if it's after Christmas (who has time to learn to use it now anyway?!?)

Please help me get a good one! What do you suggest & where do they find it?

Thanks!

9 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 10

Congratulations. My DD just bought me this one.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdkitcake20.html
To be honest, I haven't even had a chance to try it yet. I just got it and I am at work. They have support people here at this website that will gladly help you and answer any questions you have. This is the one they suggested for a beginner cake decorator. They have cheaper ones and more expensive ones, but the support guy said this would be the best all around. I think product, s&h was approximately $160.00. Only thing is, I hope your husband knows how to put it together. Mine didn't have any instructions with it! It was also shipped very securely and nothing was damaged. I'm impressed so far.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #3 of 10

Go to www.airbrushcity.com and order model GD100. It was highly recommended to me by Bronwen Weber and I adore it. As far as compressors go, kopykake.com sells the Airmaster Plus which is awesome, but you have a lot of choices for compressors.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 10

The most popular airbrushes on here are probably the kopykake airmaster or the aztek airbrush setup. Roland winbeckler has a whole set with the aztek, but you might be able to find it elsewhere for less money. http://www.winbeckler.com/airbrush_suppliespage_2.asp#Aztek%20Airbrush%20Supplies%20&%20Recommended%20Accessories

I have the kopykake airmaster and I really like it so far. It saves me so much time!!!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 10

My vote is for the aztek! I've compared the finished product with it and kopykake and the aztek is superior in my opinion. I also like the fact that it doesn't have a needle to bend or be replaced and it's easy to clean. I have several extra little cups so I can change colors easily.

mamacc Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

My vote is for the aztek! I've compared the finished product with it and kopykake and the aztek is superior in my opinion. I also like the fact that it doesn't have a needle to bend or be replaced and it's easy to clean. I have several extra little cups so I can change colors easily.

Yeah...I notice with the KK airbrush that the color is kind of "feathery" when I'm trying to airbrush a light layer of color. It's not noticeable with multiple layer and dark colors though. I may try to adapt the airmaster compressor to work with the aztec airbrush.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah...I notice with the KK airbrush that the color is kind of "feathery" when I'm trying to airbrush a light layer of color. It's not noticeable with multiple layer and dark colors though. I may try to adapt the airmaster compressor to work with the aztec airbrush.[/quote]
You can get an adaptor from Roland Winbeckler so you can use the kopykake compressor. Just email him and tell him what you're looking for.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:22am
post #8 of 10

I originally requested an Aztek 470 based on information from another post here on CC. Even with the link provided, we couldn't find the same airbrush system that they were talking about.

What Aztek do you recommend?

Anyone know of a website with reasonable prices -or- a store in the Cleveland - Akron area?

mamacc Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert1st

I originally requested an Aztek 470 based on information from another post here on CC. Even with the link provided, we couldn't find the same airbrush system that they were talking about.

What Aztek do you recommend?

Anyone know of a website with reasonable prices -or- a store in the Cleveland - Akron area?

you can find the whole set on Roland Winbeckler's site, or at least get the info on the airbrush and then google it to find it somewhere else if you don't want to buy winbecklers kit.

http://www.google.com/search?q=roland+winbeckler&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYE

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 10

I ordered the Airbrush City kit after it being recommended here. I was more than satisfied. I ordered a kit with the Browen recommended airbrush and compressor. I got alot more than I ordered... I got a upgraded compressor, and 4 airbrushes!!! Stencils etc. I got like the deluxe kit?!? Anyway I got alot more than I paid for but who am I to argue?? I love the airbrush and compressor - so much quieter than the one I had before. Good luck and enjoy which ever you decide to get.
SandyS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%