Painting Fondant?

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 12:17am by tonedna

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 9

can anyone tell me what to use to "paint" on fondant that is metallic? Also for any color. I used a sparkle dust and it was not vibrant enough and didn't apply well dry.

8 replies
Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

Use vodka as a medium for the paste food coloring. Also can be used with the powdered silver, gold, coppers etc. I prefer vodka over the lemon extract because I think the lemon is bitter. Try it out on some unused fondant to get the feel of it.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 9

what kind of sparkle dust did you try? i've heard people used a luster dust mixed with vodka is the best

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 9

Even if you look closely at Colette Peters books the metallic paint she uses isn't totally perfect. I use my airbrush when I can, and I also like Lucks brand, but I have to order it. Vodka and luster dust is another good one, but usually takes 2-3 coats of handpainting if I want "gold" for example.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 9

Even if you look closely at Colette Peters books the metallic paint she uses isn't totally perfect. I use my airbrush when I can, and I also like Lucks brand, but I have to order it. Vodka and luster dust is another good one, but usually takes 2-3 coats of handpainting if I want "gold" for example.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 9

I use for smaller details luster dust combined with lemon extract or vodka.. But if you make it too diluted it wont paint well. An airbrush is a good thing too..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 9

As Edna points out if you don't have the right consistency of vodka to dust (a bit on the thick side) it will be streaky.
Brands are important. If you are trying to work w/Wilton's sparkle dust you probably won't be very happy.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 9

Note that it's not just the brand, it's the type of dust itself in relation to the brand. You said you used sparkle dust. If you mean Wilton Sparkle Dust, that is a product that just dissolves in liquid; it doesn't stay shiny, it just turns into colored glue. It is not meant to be painted on in order to create a metallic look. I learned that the hard way on my second cake.

As pp's mentioned, you need luster dust or, if you're buying Wilton, the pearl dust. Silver or Gold or similar metallic color. I use Nu-Silver luster dust, also Gold and I think I have a copper or bronze. They all can be painted on with alcohol (note: the higher the proof, the better, as the faster the liquid will evaporate away. I use Everclear.) Shimmer and sparkle are meant to be sprinkled on top of your icing to retain their glittery look.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #9 of 9

So true!...Wilton is not the best one either..
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%