What Did I Do Wrong? Kisses In Cupcakes

Baking By sweetideas Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 9:49am by Jopalis

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 22

Ok, so I tried putting the peppermint kisses in my cupcakes, I've never done this before. I filled about 1/2 way, placed in the kiss, filled on top and baked according to the instructions. I tested one and it had cooled a bit but was still warm. I guess in my mind, I thought the kiss would have melted and it would be a gooey center. All I got was a hard kiss that was slightly scorched and sunk to the bottom of the cupcake, sticking to the wrapper. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

21 replies
lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 22

Sorry can't help, I had the same problem with putting a piece of hersheys choc in them with the same result. Just thought I'd give you a BUMP icon_confused.gif

sweetideas Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks. I guess I'm not very good at this fancy stuff. icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 22

I would really like to know how to do this too! I hope somone has the answer for us.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 22

I don't know if this is much of help, but I know when you make things like that the batter needs to be REALLY thick so things do sink to the bottom. I used to experiment all the time with baking in college.. and found that out after so many botched cupcake batches, lol.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 22

I am not a cupcake guru but if I was gonna do this, I would bake the cakes and right as they came out of the oven I'd smush in a kiss. I mean it's only gonna be like a giant chocolate chip at best.

If I did add it to the batter I would place it on top of the batter--probably flour it first. Yes a heavy batter is a good idea.

But I'm sure the cupcake queens will help you out shortly.

The melty in the middle ones are a different composition.
Google molten lava cake for a bunch of recipes.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 22

Did you want your Kiss on top of the cupcake, or in the middle? If you wanted it as a "surprise" when biting into the cuppie, then you need to add your Kiss last, after you fill all the batter in. Just press it down enough in the batter so the batter barely covers the kiss.

The Kiss will not melt and it will still be firm. It is still a yummy cuppie, no matter how it turns out. Also, make sure your Kiss' are fairly fresh. One time I used an off-brand and they were a bit harder than the Hershey brand.

K8 - anything molten lava has GOT to be good!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 22

I've used the hershye kisses with brownie bites. I insert the Hershey Kiss last, push in till almost covered (as it rises it will finish covering the kiss). Also you may ned to lift your baking rack and if baking the small cupcakes, do not bake for as long.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 22

It sounds like your looking for a chocolate molten cupcake. The kiss always stays hard, unless it's right out of the oven. But they are still really good.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

K8 - anything molten lava has GOT to be good!

Sounds like a nice warm lunch, yes?!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 22

Deff make sure to flour your kisses, learned this a long time ago, it will help with keeping it from going all the way to the bottom, also, I just push the very end of mine in and let the point get covered as the cuppie rises. Just my thoughts... Good luck!!!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 22

Put your kisses in the freezer before inserting it in the cuppy. I don't know why but for some reason this helps. They won't melt all the way but will be a tad soft.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 22

I had the same problem at the beginning of the season until one of the last recipes said to fill the liner with as much batter as you were going to use. Then just set the kiss on the top and don't push it down. This made a huge difference for me. I also saw another recipe that said to toss the kisses in flour before adding them.
Hope this helps. I will also try the freezer thing next time.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 22

Dude, I made the molten lava last night, killer!!

I'm making it again tonight. icon_biggrin.gif

I used a recipe I found on food tv--it's the Paula Dean recipe. I halved it and instead of making three, I just made two. Somehow we managed to scarf them down, complaining all the while that they were too big. lol

I used 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened choc and 2 1/2 ounces of milk choc both Gihradelli. I thought they came out too dark. I like the chocolate a little lighter. So I'm gonna diddle with the chocolate itself but it is freaking killer and perfectly easy. Fun too.

Since they were bigger I baked them 2 minutes longer no problems.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 22

k8........That is the best recipe. I love making it for my kids, they feel so special. I usually sneak up on them and scoop out the filling, boy does that piss them off (=

-K8memphis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

k8........That is the best recipe. I love making it for my kids, they feel so special. I usually sneak up on them and scoop out the filling, boy does that piss them off (=

Way cool!

I would do anything to piss my kids off right now. icon_biggrin.gif

They are 24 & 29 and they each need a whuppin' for perpetrating parental abuse. Hey what's the hotline number for the parents?
1-800-GRO-UPNOW ext. GimmeAbreak??!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Way cool!

They are 24 & 29 and they each need a whuppin' for perpetrating parental abuse. Hey what's the hotline number for the parents?

Oh that I could make that phone call myself! icon_biggrin.gif

But you've got to tell me how you perfect the HOT LAVA cuppies (heh, I like HOT lava instead of Molten...its faster to type too!)

sweetideas Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #18 of 22

Thanks everyone. I have heard about the flouring thing, I just totally forgot about it. I'll have to try the molten lava cupcakes, they sound fantastic. I used fresh peppermint kisses--they like 1/2 melted and so part of the vanilla cupcake has peppermint flavor but then a hunk of kiss. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks again for the advice!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:05am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:

Quote:

Way cool!

But you've got to tell me how you perfect the HOT LAVA cuppies (heh, I like HOT lava instead of Molten...its faster to type too!)

I am using all milk chocolate Gihradellis' tonight--in the oven--this time it was much looser than yesterday's batch so.. I mighta goofed it up--we'll know shortly.

Honestly, I think Baker's unsweetened would be perfect. Have to try that next. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:06am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:

Quote:

Way cool!

I am using all milk chocolate Gihradellis' tonight--in the oven--this time it was much looser than yesterday's batch so.. I mighta goofed it up--we'll know shortly.

Honestly, I think Baker's unsweetened would be perfect. Have to try that next. icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #21 of 22

one of the ladies somewhere in another thread, added them a few minutes into the baking. came out kinda smooshy for her, I just cant remember where or who it was icon_sad.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:49am
post #22 of 22

I made some homemade truffles (easy) and in the recipe I used it partially baked 1/2 the cupcake..added the truffle and the rest of the batter. Only a little baking before. It was a little more work but it was divine! the truffle was melty yummy...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%