leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #1 of 28

Anybody still up tonight?

27 replies
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:03am
post #2 of 28

I really thought I'd be done by now, but noooooooo. Fairly close though. Ive got two wedding cakes for tomorrow.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:16am
post #3 of 28

I'm here - just finished the 13 various cakes and now working on a 2-tier tinkerbelle cake and then have a 3-tier wedding cake. hopefully won't be an all nighter

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:18am
post #4 of 28

Tdybear, it looks like business has NOT slowed down for you! What part of the country are you in?

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 28

I'm here, but not for long! Just finished a cute little ladybug cake and I am almost satisfied with the results, (except for where i stuck my finger in the cake) I usually hate the way my cakes look. I really like my little matching cupcake.
Time to clean......

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 28

Yep I am here...making figures for a beach/exploding volcano cake for next week.

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #7 of 28

Yeah, I'm going to have a little snack and finis cleaning. I only have a little more to do, but I want to finish when I'm fresher.

laura1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura1029 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #8 of 28

I'm here (long time lurker!!). WHEW, just needed to take a break. Got hit with a ton of snow today and, of course, have a wedding cake due tomorrow! Power was out for most of the day until late this afternoon so got a late start...4 tier plus 2 sat. cakes. All baked, iced, just need to add the gumpaste flowers and borders. Figured I'd take a break before I went crazy...it's going to be a long night! icon_cry.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #9 of 28

I'm here too; I almost just had a disaster though! I FORGOT I have a cheesecake in the oven and almost just went to bed! Oh my gosh, how insane is that??! I'm cooking it ultra slow to keep it from browning so I can't smell it baking. Thank goodness it was at the end and I heard the timer go off! It's not for anyone, just family party tomorrow, but still.....I can't imagine what I might have awakened to tomorrow morning! And of course, since I'm baking it so slowly, it's nowhere near finished, so I keep setting the timer in 10 min. increments; I need to get a food thermometer so I can check by internal temp. instead of sight, as I'm just guessing right now. All this, and I won't even eat any of it; I can't stand cheesecake!!!

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:35am
post #10 of 28

I'm here too. Just finished a wedding cake and a grooms cake. Made about 120 snowflakes! UGH. Really need to go clean up but the computer was calling my name! icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #11 of 28

Seeing how it is Friday night-I need a little bit of advice?
just finished up a topsy turvy 50th birthday cake. I wrote on the banner thingy "Fabulous and 50" and just found on the order form they wanted "Fabulous at 50".
Would any of you re do it? I know it isn't a big deal to make a banner, I just dont want to peel it off the cake.

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:39am
post #12 of 28

Yeah, I'd redo it. But only because they were so specific on the order.

tdybear1978 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:39am
post #13 of 28

I am in Oklahoma. business has really been great here, picked up ALOT this year

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:40am
post #14 of 28

Must be snowflake weekend. Both my wedding cakes have snowflakes. But I mold them. Fast.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #15 of 28

Have 2 cakes for Sunday--winter theme with snowflakes. I'm going to try to do them with RI over a printed template--found it in another post.

nefcook21 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #16 of 28

leahs -- what mold did you use? I used the patchwork cutters and they were really a pita! They look really nice but they don't cut out all the way so had to use an exacto knife on them.

leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:02am
post #17 of 28

I have an assortment of the clear molds that you normally use with chocolate. I use fondant though.

I use tappits a lot which I'm thinking are similar to the patchwork cutters. You do have to ge tthe fondant really thin - "4" on the pasta roller. And let it dry out a bit.

Galler Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:06am
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Would any of you re do it? I know it isn't a big deal to make a banner, I just dont want to peel it off the cake.

Yep I would redo it too icon_cry.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:08am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Yeah, I'd redo it. But only because they were so specific on the order.

Thanks, Leah. It will take me all of 5 minutes, less time than I have spent worrying over it. icon_lol.gif

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:10am
post #20 of 28

No Cakes tonight.. But I just finished addressing and writing personal messages for 27 Christmas Cards that I have to mail out tomorrow!! Now I need to print out my daughter's X-Mas pics I took and pop those in there.. Then Off to take a shower!! I hate Christmas cards with Glitter, I have it ALL over me from Head to Toe.. icon_mad.gif

nefcook21 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 5:19am
post #21 of 28

I guess I'm going to have to get a pasta roller. My arms ache from trying to get the gumpaste thin. Well live and learn. Good night all. I'm off to dreamland.

tdybear1978 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 7:29am
post #22 of 28

anyone else still out there?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:07am
post #23 of 28

I agree with what Leahs said about snowflakes. Their very in-style for cakes, lol icon_smile.gif
I just made my first paid cake today. It's small, just a 6'' and nothing fancy, but I made snowflakes and I thought they turned out pretty cute considering my lack of experience. Photo is in my pics.

Happy Caking icon_smile.gif

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:20am
post #24 of 28

Just finished 2 cakes and 3 dozen cupcakes. Already have the nativity ready for the cakes and the RI snowflakes for the cupcakes. Now all I have to do tomorrow is 3 dozzen decorated sugar cookies and a Golden Rum cake. And I really want to do some fruit cake for my family. Might have to find time to squeeze that in in... icon_eek.gif

All this for a Sunday night party. But I try my best to not do anything work related on Sundays. I know I need my rest! lol

Merry Christmas everyone!!'
Lisa

Galler Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:31am
post #25 of 28

I guess I should go to bed too it is 3:30am in the morning and my DD is going to be up in 3 hours...finally finished my surfer dude...nite everyone

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:55am
post #26 of 28

I'm still up. I've been drawing snowflakes with a ruler and protractor for the past 2 hours because I wanted them to have a really intricate design. ONLY to find some really pretty ones on photobucket after I was all finished! I'm just hoping after all that work that I can trace them in royal icing and not have them all break!

I guess since the kids are off of school next week I'll be up later everynight. (Can't seem to get anything done cakewise when you have to play refferee between 3 little monsters!)

I contacted a cake shop near me today to see if they would let me do a kinda internship thingy a couple days a week in exchange for free labor but it was a no go. WHO WOULDN'T LOVE HAVING SOMEONE WASH DISHES AND CLEANUP CAKIE MAKIE MESSES! I would just like to observe first hand how professionals do it to better my skills.

Anyways....guess its off to bed for me now. My oldest son is having his birthday party tomorow afternoon and I need to finish his cake in the morning. I'm going to attempt making a Wii remote so wish me luck!

Nighters all you night owls!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:24pm
post #27 of 28

FNCC!! I catch you all on a Saturday as I am so far away from you all.
Haven't been to the p.c. today, been busy making a father Christmas for a cake as a gift.
Baked 3 fruitcakes last night (Fri) and sat up until 2.15am waiting for them to finish. Only got started late, cause I baked cupcakes first. Got to bake 60cookies tomorrow for an old aged home, only stars and Christmas trees.
Then I have a wedding next weekend for a 6" and 100cupcakes............and its Christmas inbetween??
This is the reason for baking those cupcakes as I thought to pop them in the deepfreeze to see how they would hold up. Then maybe, I could bake those 100 cuppies and just frost them the night before the wedding.

Any ideas??

Oh, just in case I don't get to see and hear from you all before...........have a Merry Christmas and a stunning New year!!!

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:47pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonesmommy

I'm still up. I've been drawing snowflakes with a ruler and protractor for the past 2 hours because I wanted them to have a really intricate design. ONLY to find some really pretty ones on photobucket after I was all finished! I'm just hoping after all that work that I can trace them in royal icing and not have them all break!

I guess since the kids are off of school next week I'll be up later everynight. (Can't seem to get anything done cakewise when you have to play refferee between 3 little monsters!)

I contacted a cake shop near me today to see if they would let me do a kinda internship thingy a couple days a week in exchange for free labor but it was a no go. WHO WOULDN'T LOVE HAVING SOMEONE WASH DISHES AND CLEANUP CAKIE MAKIE MESSES! I would just like to observe first hand how professionals do it to better my skills.

Anyways....guess its off to bed for me now. My oldest son is having his birthday party tomorow afternoon and I need to finish his cake in the morning. I'm going to attempt making a Wii remote so wish me luck!

Nighters all you night owls!

Hang in there! I am basically doing the same thing here in MD. I volunteered just to hang around and do dishes, bake, sweep, or anything else needed. In exchange, I get to hone my skills with an excellent caker! It works out great, and I am getting to work on stuff I would have never attempted alone.

Keep trying...you will find someone who will welcome you with open arms.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%